Looking for some input - gotta sell my car

I think there are some car saavy, smart guys here. I am about to list my 1995 BMW 525i for sale. I don’t really want to sell it but I have nowhere to put it and it makes sense overall. I can’t sell it until I address a couple of issues with my soon-to-be daily driver. I am just getting things in order prior to listing it.

I am looking for opinions about this car. I think I have a decent approach but am always interested in other people’s opinions (that know something).

First, some pictures. I just took these today after a quick cleaning.

Go here: http://rides.webshots.com/album/557858824QmJVmJ
and click on slideshow and the site will do the rest.

Specific about the car:
1995 BMW 525i with the VANOS (variable valve timing engine) and 4-spd auto
113k miles (probably 114k-115k when I list it)
Gray with black leather interior
PW/PL/PM/Heated Front Power Seats
ABS
ASC (anti-skid/traction control)
Power Moon Roof
Remote Keyless Entry
BMW Antitheft System
BMW AM/FM/Cass/6-CD Changer
Trip Computer
Separate Driver and Passenger Heat/Air Controls
Premium BMW Wheels

This an unmolested daily driver and everything (and I mean everything) works on this car. I drive it to work every day from Beaver to Canonsburg and It has never had any real problems. It was always garaged until last week. It was my wife’s car (stay at home mom) from January 2000 until last June when she decided that she liked our Tahoe better and we traded daily drivers. It’s been safe, reliable and solid. The chassis is also wonderful and it is still fun to drive, though a little underpowered for my taste.

Newer parts:
Front tires
BMW Radiator
K&N
Spark plugs
BMW water pump
Bosch Alternator
Timing Chain
Timing Chain gasket
Idler Pulley
Tensioner Pulley
Both belts

All Mobil 1 or Red Line fluids and all service was done strictly according to the computer-directed intervals (mostly by the dealer but also by me more recently). Every 2 years, I claybar-ed the whole car. I also did the multi-pass Zaino treatments 2-4 times a year as time permitted.

Things that aren’t perfect:

1. Body - there are a few scratches on the car where my wife/kids weren’t paying attention. Nothing major. There is also a small rust spot on the bottom of the front, passenger-side door. Not major but it’s there.
  2. Engine - For the first time last year, I had to add R143a the A/C system. It still works fine and a dye test came up empty for leaks. I figured that I would wait until the problem is a little more obvious. When at operating temperature, and only at idle, the serpentine system has a squeak. I replced the belts, pulleys and alternator and it is still there. If something should fail at this point, the car will still be driveable. I replaced everything that would strand me.
  3. Tranny - I never liked the way the auto shifted when the car is cold. I was assured by a BMW tech that it is supposed to work this way. I changed the tranny fluid for the heck of it and it still retards upshifts and downshifts when cold. It’s OK when the car is at operating temperature. I guess it’s normal but I personally don’t like it.
  4. Suspension - it has the original shocks on it but they aren’t that bad. They aren’t as good as 7 years ago but they aren’t worth replacing, IMO.
  5. It sounds like one of the exhaust hangers broke. Again.

Well, thats about it. I was originally going to ask $6,500 but the estimate for the right-front damage from my lil crash last Tuesday (pictures above) is just over $600 to I figured I’ll ask $5,900 and let the buyer decide if it’s worth it to professionally repair it, leave it or do a quick-n-dirty repair.

Do you think I am asking too little? Too much? Waddaya think? I am truly interested.

I know this is an obvious response, but as a starting point, what does Kelly Blue Book or another pricing guide price it at for private sale?

Pricing guides (kbb.com and edmunds.com) are anywhere from $4,500 to $6,500.

Even up trade for a 944 and a LT1 ? :naughty:

If I come home with another car, I think my household will become an unhappy place to be… Now, the LT1 is on my shopping list.