Looking into getting an ATV...

Jam, I’m AT LEAST 6’3. I was at the doctor about a year ago and I was almost 6’3 then. :slight_smile:

I’d say get a 400ex, decent power, something you wont get sick of, tons of after market if you want to go crazy with it (suspension, big bore kits, hybrid set ups). Honda quads are very reliable and rider friendly.

I got a raptor 660, its fun but not fast enough for me. I like the torque for wheelies though.

Is there any honda dealers left in the area? I might have to go check one out.

Is it actually slow, or do you just get bored with it because you’ve been riding for a long time?

buy my bike steve,and good luck riding the tracks by our houses. challenging ride

hamburg honda, camp in hamburg y0

There are a few dealers in the area, Hamburg Honda, Ray Lakes Motor Sports, Western NY cycle…

I have rode a lot of quads in my 16 years of riding, Honda has been my choice for sport/racing quads for the awesome geometry, out of the box handling, and reliability. Plus after market support. Yamaha sport/race quads are also good (450, 700). If you were to even think about Suzuki then the lt450r is the only choice. I really think the 400ex will be a good balance between power, weight, handling, and reliability for a first time rider. It will fly threw the air, easy to throw around on the trail, and very easy to drive.

Edit: Since you will be just starting out, gear is important. You will most likely flip it, it happens to everyone. A chest protector is a very good investment.

Ehh Not so sure I should start out on 2 wheels lol, I’ve never ridden anything like this before.

Thanks for the good info, I figure I’ll flip it a few times. Won’t be fun considering how small I am lol.

You can buy a 6+ year old 400ex for less than $1500 if you’re patient and look around. I have been toying with the idea to buy one on and off since December but it keeps coming back to would I really use it?

I’m still looking for a decent one.

I was thinking the same about using it, but theres miles and miles of trails behind my house and a bunch of people I know ride so I know I’d always have something to do this summer instead of sitting home bored or sitting in my garage working on a fail project.

I think I may start looking around now at different ones mentioned and hopefully make a purchase mid may:)

+1 for a 400EX as a starter quad.

you cant beat honda reliabilty. I have a 86 250R. id still take over anything new. well maby not the new R yamaha & Suzuki.

i have yet to see a yamaha that is easy to maintain. they just have some retarded things for basic maintanance. Oil changes & air filter cleaning & chain adjustment.

Honda > *. but i havent ridden in like 3 years… buying a house kills free time like nothing else.

www.exriders.com

check out the forum, its just one of the many thats out there but it will give you ideas and hopefully help you make up your mind.

Thanks guys. Hopefully I can figure out what I want soon. I <3 yamaha, but if they’re a PITA to maintain maybe it’s not a good idea for me to start out on one.

everyone has their own preferences. I just go by the old yamahas ive owned and ridden with. blasters suck, banshees suck, and warriors sucked. i dont know a lot about the new Z 450. but you cant beat a honda they engineer things better. my $.02

ive broken just about everything on my old R. and have split the cases & changed the transmission myself on it. and im no mechanic.

I’m going to berts tonight to check some out and see what I’m interested in.

http://nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42209

if you wanted something fast and fun, this thing will beat any stock raptor 700 all day long

I’d LOVE that, sadly I’d have to finance something or wait till may or a bit longer to buy something out around that price.

Unless you wanted to work something out? but I doubt you would lol.

i could do something for you, shrives says your a good dude so throw me a IM on aim Thrisk14

ugh, fuck i went to school for all this shit

Z400/KFX400/DVX400 are all the same quad, same motor ect. tons of aftermarket support
same with the 400EX

all are pretty bullet proof.
everyone has there opinons, ill tell you what i have seen a alot of

400EX motors/head/vlave blown to hell but thats due to to high compression. people put a high comp. pistion in and slap a pipe on it call it good.
not
yamaha’s like to smoke the crank bearing turning your crank a nice blue

some year LTZ450’s the shock will break off due to a welding error.

the larger KFX700 is heavy and a pain in the balls to work on.

the KFX/Z400 seem to be pretty decent havent seen a common issue with them.
DVX400 plastics suck snap on snap off BS
watch out for FI quads if you mod them, the stock map is not that big needs to be taken to a shop.

I think I might be buying this guys quad :slight_smile: