Looking to buy a new tv

Never really cared to educate myself on the topic until now
first off- whats the difference between LCD LED and PLASMA?

Second- which companies are dominating the market these days?

Also, where are all the deals going on? Good warranties? Ect

Im looking for 50-60 in all around decent tv, good for the buck,
mild gamer, like to enjoy a flick every so often, watch the sports games

any advise is appreciated

wow, ummm where to start…

first… use GOOGLE

second…use GOOGLE

Honestly any TV I buy from now on will be Samsung, I have had nothing but luck with them. I have a Sony XBR9 3D TV I HATE. Constantly reboots for no reason and locks up. Big POS, I had a Vizio blow a motherboard after 3 months (common issue) I have yet to have a problem with any of my Samsungs. THis is all just my opinion. Take it with a grain of salt.

I bought an LG 50PA4500 mid-summer for about $530 shipped to my door and its been 100% - zero complaints. I know some people get freaked out about shipping TV’s, but it arrived perfectly. I wasn’t even looking at TV’s, but when I stumbled upon reviews I went to BestBuy to see some different brands in person, then I impulse bought the LG online. Again, I’m no technophile or anything but for the price I don’t think it can be beat.

Spelling Nazi is back on the prowl.

LED TV’s are LED backlit LCD’s and not inherently superior.

That is all.

I could not be more happy with my Samsung products…I have an old DLP still kicking and a 64", 46" and 32" LCD and I dont really shop for any other brand.

I picked up a Panasonic Viera 65" Plasma. BEAUTIFUL picture, I chose plasma because of the refresh rate, and my home is kept pretty dark, where plasma shines.

thats funny because i have a samsung 50" plasma that has a vertical dead line!! its only 18 months old. i have an old sony 46" that used to be my primary tv thats 7 years old and is PERFECT

I had an issue with a Samsung TV and the standard warranty took care of it with no issues…gave me the loyalty I have today actually.

+1 for samsung. I have owned several and they have always been great.

I have a 55" Panasonic plasma 3D smart TV. The picture is steller. If you have windows, buy some blinds. No more glare issue. The 3D was novel at first but I haven’t watched anything in 3D in a year. The novelty definitely wore off. The wireless smart capability is pretty cool though. No need to run Ethernet to it and Netflix works awesome through it.

I also have a 32" Samsung LCD. No complaints or problems there either.

+3 on Panasonic plasma and also like Samsung as well…

54" Viera THX certified in living room, owned 4 yrs and not one issue
46" Viera in bedroom, owned 3 years never an issue
32" Samsung LCD in my office, owned 4 years no issues
55" LG LED going in finished basement, only tested but picture looks prestine

You can find a 50-60" decent all around TV all day for ~800 or less. Look for weekly sales…

Generally if you can control the light, plasma is the way to go.

If you need the extra brightness because the room is getting direct sun a lot LCD will work better.

I’ve got a 58" Samsung plasma in my living room that I bought back in 2010 and love it. PN58C7000. It’s 3d ready but I’ve never bothered to get the 3d glasses for it. I just put in an HD projector downstairs and didn’t bother getting one that was 3D capable. 3D, especially it’s implementation in home sets, just has not impressed me at all.

I still have a 50" Pioneer in my bedroom and 60" Pioneer in the living room. I’d like something a bit larger than 60" but haven’t found a suitable replacement with better picture quality yet.

Samsung vote here.

Samhung

SAMSUNG but not the lower end models. Stick with the higher tier. Have not checked recently but the 9000 series was the king shit at one point.

I will be referencing this thread soon…will be looking for a decent 40-50 incher for around 500…

Plasma has a superior refresh rate and the color levels on a Plasma still can’t be matched. The top of the line is the Panasonic plasma’s but they just announced they are exiting the plasma market so you want one get them while you can. The only other plasma I would recommend is Samsungs.

As other have said LED’s tend to a lot better in brighter rooms, look at avsforums reviews of panels before you buy. In general terms Samsung and Sharp make good panels.

this is the deal of the moment. If you don’t already know the answer to your own question (and I don’t say this to be insulting) than this TV will more than meet your needs. I will add the over the next couple years 4k will come down in price. I think it’s smart to buy a value TV today and in a few years spend real money on a good 4k. those who spend thousands today will by kicking themselves 2-3 years from now when it’s worthless because the chepest 4k TV is better and costs $1000 for a 60"

cliffs: walmart has an LG plasma for $10 an inch ($600)

edit: this deal might be sold out locally, but if you set up a slick deals alert I bet you can get similar value within a couple weeks, just be ready to buy.