Looking to buy an engagement ring

What are some well priced jewelers that sell nice engagement rings? It is time for me to step up and buy one.

Thanks!

Got mine from Jared…3,000 later…

Jareds and Kays are owned by the same head company as i recall and have a lot of the same jewelry. Difference is in price, Kays is way cheaper for the exact same rings.

Buy the stone separate. Josh can get you in touch with his guy in NYC who has some nice bling.

I bought my fiance a Tacori, shit’s baller as fuck. IMO, go with a designer setting…You’re gonna get a ring that is handmade, high quality, and the styles are so much less common than those national chain settings. If your budget wont allow that, go with a custom made piece. I know that sounds expensive, but it’s cheaper than designer in most cases. Definitely shop the stone out seperately. You need to get a good lesson in diamonds before you do anything.

what is your budget like? I know it’s rude to ask personal info like that, but it’s gonna make a huge difference as to where I point you (I just bought one in July).

Just remember, she is going to own/wear this ring for the REST OF HER LIFE…and you only get one chance to get it right.

my viper996 moment:

LOL, off-topic, but my girlfriend was looking at your avatar and says " OH MY GOD, That is sooo cute… can you do that to my car?" I lol’ed hard.

HAHA.

I helped shop for my friend’s wedding ring a year back, he ended up going with buying the diamond separate and then had some place set it in a band, it ended up looking amazing.

yeah, almost any reputable ring is going to be sold that way.

I bought both from the same place, but spent some time picking out the diamond seperately, then they sent the diamond to the ring maker (Tacori) and they built the ring to the spec of the diamond and ring size.

If you are on a tight budget, I recommend shopping online for the diamond. Here is a tip on that though. When you buy a diamond, any reputable one is going to be certified by one of the major cert companies. Round brilliant (standard round diamond) is certified based on clarity, carat, color and cut. Princess cut diamonds are NOT certified on cut. This means that a diamond retailer can blow tons of smoke up your ass on how well their Princess diamond is cut, but in the end, the only proof is your eye…Or you can TRY and go from the dimensions on the cert. I found a lot princess cuts that I was looking at were NOT symmetrical, and it showed in the amount luster/sparkle the stone had. Once I found one that was perfectly square, it was WAY nicer. So be careful on that. Round brilliants you don’t need to worry as much, the cut quality is on the cert. You know what you’re getting there.

just bought mine at jareds

Zales here

Bad idea, escape while you still can.

I went custom.

Damn, I am looking to spend around 4 - 6k on this. She likes the princess cut but I am not liking how they are not certified. That is a problem because I have about a month to buy one and I don’t want to get screwed over or f’d from a retailer. I wouldn’t mind going custom, I just need to know some local places and good places to buy a diamond.

---------- Post added at 05:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 AM ----------

I held off long enough, we have been dating consistently for the past 10 years.

INB4

FS: Engagement Ring

Got mine at Reed’s and definitely was happy with their service.

oh, they’re certified, don’t worry about that. They are just not certified for CUT. Color, clarity, carat, etc… are all on there.

Once you start to look at a few of the diamonds, you’ll find one that’s cut nicely :slight_smile:

If I were you I would look online at some designer rings online and maybe get a feel for what you want. Tacori and Verragio are both top designers. Just google “engagement ring designers”.

My budget was the same, but I ended up spending a little bit more…Taxes get ya

A month is a rough time frame. If you have anything done custom or by a designer, it’s gonna take a month to have it made.

When I bought the wife’s ring, I went to a LOCAL jewelers place, they didn’t have any Cert stones on hand when I asked about them. But they called the owner up to help me, we talked about what I was looking for (about 45min) and he ordered in 4 stones to show me that he would cert for me in the range I was looking for. When the 4 stones came in he didn’t like all of them and only showed me 3. We spent another 45-60 min picking out the perfect stone. Sent it out to be Cert and then mounted it for us.

One thing that he told me when looking is to stay with a traditional cut as there is value there, if you are going with heart shaped cuts (for instance) there is not much value there if the worst was to ever happen, divorce, hard up for $ ect.

When I was shopping for rings I went into kays (I think) and asked about cert stones and they didn’t have any, and gave me attitude, so I left and spent my thousands elsewhere… This was the same with other chain jewerels. I say far, far away from them now.

I have bought a bunch of new jewelry from the (same little shop i got the engagment ring at), and they take the time to help me pick out the perfect item, for instance Pearls, I wanted to get my wife pearls for “her” wedding, and she is a Red head and I wanted the color of the pearls to compliment her skin tone… So we chose from 4-5 different colors of pearl strands. Them just taking there time to help and to be interested in helping me. Same goes for the watches we have bought from them.

I have also used a Custom jewerl in town to make complete custom stuff, a ring that I designed for our anniversary and my wife’s Masters Graduation… It’s her schools colors set in white and yellow gold to highlight each color stone as one of them is a Yellow color and would not stand out in a yellow gold setting. She had a cross melted down from other family pieces… There are others.

Me personally would just stay away from chain stores, if you want real customer service. I STILL see the same sales lady’s when I go shopping.

Good luck and congratulations!

Me too. I’m almost starting to feel guilty about it, almost

Go to Brian Michael in the Blvd. That’s where I got my wife’s ring. Bob was the sales guy that took care of me. When you buy a rig there they give you lifetime cleanings (usually like $50 each time to clean a ring).

Most stores do that…Jared does. My fiancee just shows up with her necklace/ring and they clean it.