long time no see! going to take the plunge

So this site has gotten a bigger than it was when I started off on here, so when I say i disappeared for a bit I dont know that too many of you would even know I left haha

Anyway I’m in my first year of Medical School and its kicking my ass (in a good way) so I dont make it on here much… to the OG’s, missed you guys!

ok so heres the post point:

I’m going to actually dive into the shallow end and propose to the love of my life :slight_smile: :ham:

Since I have NO experience with this stuff I need some shopping opinions.
Being that I’m in medical school, am dirt poor, and will BE dirt poor for a while, I cant do anything too elaborate. Someday, when im not poor, i’ll get her a nice ring

I have the good fortune of my AMAZING mom telling me that she has my great grandmothers diamond avalible for me to mount.
I’m going to take her up on the offer (the girl is a sweetheart and will be thrilled that she could wear my family heirloom so thats not a big deal). Now the question is… where to go for a mount. I’ll set my ceiling at 1200 (ring band and a warrenttee and tax) but I have no idea how I can maximize my purchase power here.

I assume i have a little leeway because with the diamond quality is SO much more an issue than with the band/mount. I figured I would go with some diamonds in the band, maybe one on either side of the main diamond and some pave diamonds in the band (i think i said that correctly)

Has anyone done this? Know of reliable online retailers or a local place (rochester) to go? Mounting can be done anywhere, but I do want a waranttee and Im not sure where that would be purchased thru (the mounting company, or the band/mount retailer?)

Thanks so much in advance! Ok, back to Anatomy haha

Bobby

Scanlons is the best locally, but you can save yourself a shit ton shopping online for what are called semi-mounts it’s a setting with some diamonds but not the main stone… eBay has good deals as long as it’s a reputable seller, u won’t get diamond certs for “accent” diamonds , pm me if u have trouble findin anyhjbg

Bob, are you aware that I even exist anymore? Call or text me tomorrow and I’ll call Vick @ B&B if you want. He’s sold 3 of my friends rings this year FAR under retail. John is also doing some amazing work with computer designed bands now.

Don’t listen to any jamokes here. Head directly to www.pricescope.com Do not pass go, do not waste $1200.

use www.bluenile.com

even if you do not buy there, make sure you compare… i found it to be upwards of 60% cheaper than canadian jewellers.

most importantly though, GIA certifications on the diamonds and laser enscribed identification on the diamonds as well…

RE: $1200… fuck off with that… if you are in medical school then you’re just going to have to buy her a second ring later one to make up for the $1200 one you’re buying now.

stretch the budget to $5k and get something your future doctor buddies won’t tease you for… i don’t know what kind of car you drive but you cannot spend less on a ring than you would on wheels… the ring has to be equal or greater than the most expensive single upgrade to your car… otherwise you are going to have issues :wink:

pawn shop FTW … I like southgate jewelers

PM me … i have a guy

I would normally never buy from pricescope unless I knew the jewler, but with a budget of only $1200 it is most likely your best bet.

:word:
Go talk to Jeff at Scanlons. He’ll make what you want for the $$$ you want to spend.

well
1- I have a diamond already so I thought 1200 for a band and some diamonds set in the band would make for a decent ring.
2- 5000? haha dude I have 5000 in my bank right not to cover EVERY expense that I have from now untill January including rent, food, utilities, books, coffee, car payment, insurence… yeah man i mean believe me i wanna get her something nice, but the 2 or 2.5c is going to most definately have to wait

I mean thanks to everyone for the advice though!!! haha its just that 1200 is 1/5 of my net worth right now. Im just looking for a mount haha. :tup:

plus, let em tease me haha. i mean unless mommy and daddy had a trust fund set up ALOT of people are in the same boat. I have the great fortune of having a diamond already :slight_smile:

Hey Bob! I know nothing about buying diamonds, but congrats in advance :tup:

I read this before my morning coffee,

+2 on going to scanlon’s for mounting

Congrats bob…

However, don’t fucking get married until you’re making loot, finances will put a lot of stress on your relationship. Unless of course, she’s making loot…

:tup: man. She seemed like a cool girl and congrats.

You owe me a beer when you are in town again.

pricescope isn’t a vendor, its a forum.

bluenile is crap. avoid them, visit pricescope. crappy quality, def. a budget crapola vendor and not what you want at all, esp since you are looking for a jewler to design a setting.

Local place, Pauls Jewelry, very reasonable guy is running it, let him know your situation and you will get a good deal, plus he takes care of customers when it comes down to repairs/warranty.

there are lots of quality vendors out there, depends on what your girl wants. I had an amazing experience with whiteflash in a completely custom ring that I provided the stones for, may be something to look in to. Your best bet will be to get something off the shelf that you can drop your stone in to. Have you talked to her about what she wants yet? IMO side stone + pave is kind of tacky but opinions are like assholes.

and :lol: @ saying “fuck off at $1200, spend $5k so you can impress your friends”

:picard:

my uncle owns a jewlery store, and either builds his own stuff, or buys raw castings and finishes them. PM for contact info, he’s in orchard park near 20A and the 219.

I know that, but you can also search diamonds on pricescope from vendors. I thought you were telling him to buy from them.