bluenile.com

Anyone ever bought a diamond from them? Their savings are very significant. The diamonds are GIA certified, so that confirms the quality right?

It seems too good to be true that you could save that much, but I realize that without a storefront there costs are a bunch less.

Are there any downsides other than not physically seeing it?

edit: setting would be bought in-store

i bought my engagement ring from bluenile and saved $6,000 over buying it in a store.

You can get F and IF (flawless and internally flawless) diamonds there, you cannot get that most places.

I had a secondary appraisal done on it locally and it came out higher than the one that was provided with the ring.

No point in buying your setting somewhere else, that just costs you more money. Or, send them your setting for the diamond.

They shipped it overnight to me for like nothing… very very very highly recommend.

I almost pulled the trigger on a ring from them but just couldn’t bring myself to buying a diamond without physically seeing it. And my biggest concern was sizing the diamond, even though I could have just seen some sizing examples in an actual jewelry store. I haven’t heard a bad review from them yet though.

well, the setting will be a designer piece made to fit the diamond and her finger…They don’t sell designer settings so that is out.

There is one local place that sells diamonds direct (no middle man), and I got some decent prices from them too. Plus they might cut me a deal on the setting if I buy both in one shot, so I might still end up doing that. I’ll have to see what the overall cost is going to be.

bump for the day crew’s help

Blue Nile is great. Most of the GIA certified stones that they sell have a laser engraved GIA # in to the girdle. You can read this under a microscope. No worries about getting ripped off. Just a few suggestions and tips to save a few bucks when buying if you haven’t done some actual shopping/looking at diamonds:

Don’t skimp on the cut. Go with an “excellent” if looking at GIA, or Ideal with the others. I would stick with GIA however. You can really tell the difference between the different cut grades.
It’s pretty hard to tell the difference between the colorless diamonds (D, E, and F). An F looks amazing still and will save you some cash over the D and E.
No reason go with a flawless or internally flawless diamond. In my opinion anything better than a VS1 is money that should be spent elsewhere, like cut or carat size. Looking at a flawless versus a VS1 with the human eye, you won’t be able to tell the difference.
Try to find something with an excellent polish and symmetry, and no fluorescence. No, or very small culet.

After you find something that fits all those, go with the biggest carat you can afford! A smaller diamond that meets the above qualities will look better than a larger, shittier stone.

I’ve purchased cheap stuff from them… I’d never buy an expensive diamond without looking at it in person.

That’s the thing though, I have no idea what I am looking at anyways.

I went to a store the other day and the guy showed me 2 diamonds and asked me which one I liked better.

That’s like opening a fucking playboy magazine and asking me which one of the centerfolds I like better. THEY ARE ALL HOT!!!

you’re a salesman’s dream. research research, research.

no, I am a technical guy. I rely on the numbers to tell me what’s up. So I figure as long as all the different parameters of the certification are good, then the diamond should be good.

---------- Post added at 04:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:20 PM ----------

Do you knowledged folks think there is a really big difference between an SI1 and a VS2?

what type of stone are you looking to get?

---------- Post added at 04:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:31 PM ----------

I would never get an SI but that’s me.

Diamonds are much more than just numbers, I have seen some really crappy looking stones with excellent GIA certs.

Obviously you have probably already taken into account who this ring is for. So the question is, does she care about the details? If all she cares about is having a beautiful ring in her eyes, then you probably could be fine with SI1. But if those details are important to her, then maybe you should go with a VS2. Some women just have to have the best while still being somewhat reasonable. You need to consider how she defines “best” and what’s “reasonable” to her. For me, my fiancee definitely appreciates some finer things, but at the end of the day she just wanted a ring that looked beautiful on her finger and didn’t cost me a fortune. So I was able to sacrifice a little quality in the clarity and color to afford a slightly larger carat at a good price.

a princess cut somewhere in the area of 1ct

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

word…she doesn’t know anything about jewelery, but I generally HATE buying crappy products…I’m not made of money though.

Size. Women want size. Fuck the rest of it their friends aren’t impressed by color or clarity they are impressed by size.

That’s the other problem I have…Can I REALLY trust the GIA certs? I am clueless though. I could easily be suckered into a shitty one. I am partially color blind, so I can’t see a lot of the nitty gritty details

you can trust GIA on Princess cuts, If you you were going with an Emerald cut then it would be different.

are we still talking about diamonds?

Blue Nile isn’t exactly at the top of the heap in terms of online retailers (although just about anything is better than most Brick & Mortar shops). Go to www.pricescope.com and listen to the people that know what they are talking about.

Come here for car advice, not diamond advice, would be my advice :wink:

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

Lauren (and the rest of the folks are PS) was awesome when I was looking in to this.

I ended up designing a custom ring using stones that I sourced. Whiteflash.com did the CAD and fabrication. They were awesome to work with and I would HIGHLY recommend them. LMK if you want a contact there to speak with.

I appreciate the contact offer, will let you know. Although, the setting is basically picked out already. Just trying to figure out what I want in a diamond and then finding the best deal.

no viper jokes?