Looking to buy an engagement ring

i bought the ring & stone at Jareds-
probably could have gotten a better deal elsewhere, but they patently answered all my questions.
other places just wanted me to hurry up & pick something-
if you go with white gold for the setting/ring the most important thing IMHO:
get a service plan that will re-plate as part of the free inspection/service
my wife needs to have hers re-done 2x a year.
i guess it has to do the the womans ph level- so this is more important for some folks than others
se has other white gold rings she wears & this is never an issue, so…

This and this. It could be 100 years and you’re still in for a rude awakening when they get that contract.

Support one of the local family jewelers. Don’t go to one of the chain jewelry stores.

Yeah, i went with one of the local jewelers in my area and i couldn’t have been happier. They spent about 3 hours with us, going through everything, and showing us all the styles they had, and even pulling out rings a new designer they were considering adding before they even had them on the shelf. She found the one she liked in that set, and they ended up adding the designer and we ordered the first ring from them. It wasn’t custom, but it was exactly what she wanted. It was 5 months between when I bought it and when I gave it to her, and each month we’d stop in and they’d pull me aside and ask if I gave it to her, and when I finally did, they all wanted to see it on her finger.

I also gave the chain stores a shot, including a semi local one that my parents always use, but I just didn’t get the same level of service at all from them.

Ben Garelick, hands down the best place I found to deal with all around. Others I know have said the same, and I shopped for months/did tons of comparison shopping.

quoting my comments in other threads about this:

I have also heard many good reviews about bluenile.

check the classifieds on here

yeah bail out another member :slight_smile:

I hired a guy at work a few months ago whose girl left him and he traded the ring + cash on a Tag Carrera Chrono so even if things go south you can always get a nice watch :slight_smile:

Go to Scanlon. Talk to Jeff. Tell him Joe sent you. He’s helped out everyone that I have sent to him.
He’s made our wedding rings and a bunch of jewelry for my wife. And he’s a car guy.
He’s one of the only true designers in WNY.

Get your girl something completely custom and not out of a catalog.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I have a lot of work ahead of me.

Hey boardjnky4 - What place did you go to?

bought in NC…sorry dude.

Place called “Diamonds Direct at Crabtree”

Check out Pauls Jewelry Desgin on NFB right by Ellicott Creek

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk317/itsstockish/airport1.jpg

you’re welcome.

if you’re gonna go with a designer set, find the designer you like the most, then find a retailer on their website. Shop the diamond out seperately. Buying online, as Bing said and others have said, can be a huge cost saver.

This has been covered before.

Buy used [/viper]

Go to www.pricescope.com and get real answers from people that know what they are talking about.

Avoid brick&mortar stores.

I ended up with a custom set that I designed and had made by WhiteFlash www.whiteflash.com Sourced my stones independently. They were AMAZING to deal with. If you go that route, ask for Renee Brinlee, she is awesome, and hilarious.

NEVER go to Airport Plaza jewelers.

De Beers loves you guys.

lol @ “avoid brick and mortar”

I ended up getting a great diamond for less than online would have been. They also cut me a 20% discount on the setting. Then when I hesitated to put down a deposit, they slashed another 800 or so lol.