looking to get into a new/used car... best bang for the buck?

With all the deals going on these days, I’m wanting to get out of the GTO and get into something else (not sure what yet).

Requirements:
I want to keep my payments under 400.00
It must have a manual transmission
I’d prefer new, but I’m flexible

I was looking at SRT-4’s, but I don’t think they’re made anymore since I can’t find any details on building one.

Any ideas? I don’t care about luxury shit… I’d rather have the performance @ a good price with a dull interior, vs a slow car (or expensive) with a nice interior

Do the new G8’s have the manual tranmission available yet? Those are pretty nice all in all

I’d love a G8, but their starting price is somewhere in the mid-20’s I think (for the v6)

The G8 with the V8 is a gas guzzler, if you can get over that its a great car. I highly doubt you’d be able to get into that one for under $400 a month.

yeah, I already did the math on one of those.

payments would be in the mid 500’s for a G8 GT :tdown:

You say you wouldnt miss the luxury shit, but going from a GTO to an econobox you def would…
But if you don’t think so, turbo cobalt SS with the GM discount? Couple hours at new era and it’d probably be as fast as the GTO…

No, no it is not. The V8’s have DOD. Don’t get me wrong, it is not going to get you the gas mileage of a 4 cyclinder Corolla, but it is pretty good for a V8. And no, 6spd G8’s aren’t out yet and in order to get in one for under $400 a month,. you would have to put $ down. You are currently driving the best $/hp car around. Also, would you really consider FWD after owning RWD? I know I would never own a FWD car again

good point. FWD doesn’t really excite me much, but for the right price I could deal with it (as much as I like RWD)

Joe, good point too. I would probably miss some of the creature comforts, but I’ve never been a huge “bells and whistles” fanatic. As long as it has cruise control and a radio, I’m happy :smiley:

I looked at a Cobalt SS and probably going to schedule a test drive in the next week or so. Even those are a little high on my “under 400” budget allowance though. I’m trying to get a car payment lower than my current one

If you want a new car cheap, ever thought about leasing? My truck stickered for 41k and I pay 330 a month with 0 down…You don’t have the car to trade in at the end but you don’t have the hassle of trying to negotiate a trade in and getting boned on it anyway either. Half the time, you buy, make higher payments the whole time, and end up upside down when it depreciates faster than you expected. There’s no downside risk; if the car is worth more than the buyout at the end, you buy it, if not, you walk away.

really? only 330?

what do those MSRP for? Reason why I ask is that I “thought” I saw the G8 listed in the mid 400’s for a lease, which seems high.

Now that I live literally 10 mins from work, a lease makes more sense considering I don’t drive nearly as much as I used to.

really? only 330?

what do those MSRP for? Reason why I ask is that I “thought” I saw the G8 listed in the mid 400’s for a lease, which seems high.

Now that I live literally 10 mins from work, a lease makes more sense considering I don’t drive nearly as much as I used to. (plus, I can’t seem to commit to a car for more than a few years, so maybe thats not a bad idea)

:tup:

i like where your head’s at.

Sticker price was 41k. GMS was ~36 IIRC. I actually found the deal on ebay motors, was just over the border into PA. I bet you could get into a similar deal as they start to clear out the 08s

^ :bloated: do you even own a G8? My friend does. It gets HORRIBLE gas mileage even with the 6 speed. FACT

^ :bloated: do you even own a G8? My friend does. It gets HORRIBLE gas mileage. fact

It can’t be much worse than what the GTO’s currently get can it?

Do those have the LS2 engines? J_espo, how does it ride? How does the automatic trans feel?

The auto 6sp with paddle shifters is pretty sweet. Gets the gas mileage of a T56 if you cruise it low RPM on the highway. Much better than the 4 speed.

They have a slightly lower HP stock next gen V8. With DOD. Bolt ons make it => than the LS2.

Let me guess, he floors it taking off all the time? I have an LS2 GTO and it gets pretty damn good gas mileage, mid 20’s on the highway. Yes, stop and go does drop it down significantly, but, what car doesn’t drop in stop and go.

Correct, just proving that the guys friend must drive it like an idiot

thanks guys… I’m really interested in a lease now. Do dealers take in trades on leases? Right now I owe, I believe, around 15K on my goat. Assuming that the dealer gives me 13-14K for it, can that extra 1K be rolled over onto the lease, opposed to paying for it in cash?