Lord of the ring. 2009 Zr1 in Germany.

http://jalopnik.com/assets/resources/2008/04/Corvette-ZR1-Driving.jpg

The 2009 Corvette ZR1 is getting oh so close to launch, and it’s just been caught doing hot laps on the Nürburgring. The most powerful Corvette ever built was captured on video running consecutive laps in the 7:40 range — that unofficial time puts it in the race for the top production car ever round the Nordschleife. Not only that, but the conditions of the drive were pure funk, with a cold and wet track and engineers at the helm. ZR1 Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter is noted as saying the ZR1 will beat any production car’s track record anywhere in the world and this news stands to back that up. Meander over to Edmunds Inside Line to see video and hear the beast in its element for the first time.

such an awesome car, its going to be hard to get your hands on one of those though, 2000 are going to be built each year, not sure how long though.

thats fast but not close to competing with the top production cars, and not much faster than the previous z06. maybe they arent pushing it to the limits yet. i cant wait to see some official times from the new v spec gtr. unofficial times put it at 7:25. if it can indeed do that officially, that will be tough for the zr1 to compete with. thats a bolt statement from their chief engineer. should push other makes to pump out some more juice into their cars though.

7:25?

The regular skyline is claimed to have run 7:38 and that’s not backed up official time is looking like 7:44 is the official time.

7:42.9 was the old time for regular Z06 and if they can do 7:40’s with engineer driving on damp conditions one can only imagine what they can do in the dry.

Only official times that are faster
7:27.82 Pagani Zonda F Clubsport
7:28 Porsche Carrera GT
7:32.02* Porsche 997 GT2 2008
7:34 Koenigsegg CCR

Neither of the skyline runs is really official or from a standing start IIRC.

i love that Vette. its been my background a few times. Really nicely done peice. I’m curious how it will compare with the GTR in a shootout. Can’t beat the Nissan for the price though.

that car should be a low 10 second care as well, with a good driver. Thats something the gtr cant touch. To this day the fastest stock z06 is a 10.9 on street tires and a 10.8 on drag radials, so imagine what the zr1 will do with a good driver behind it.

the gtr is def a lot cheaper, but the zr1 will be iconed as m more of a collectible item

def both badass rides. bang for the buck you can’t touch the GTR as an all around contender. As usual though, America wins the drag race!

id take the zr1 over the gtr anyday and im not even a big domestic guy, 6spd ftw

the gtr is as official as the gt2 both are claimed by manufacturer. also the 7:38 was also on a wet road. the 7:25 is for the V spec model with 70 more hp, lighter chassis, and other changes. IIRC none of the cars on that list are going from a standing start.

yea i never trusted no automatics. they’re only good for hoppers.

That handles pretty good for a car with prehistoric leaf springs… :ponder

atleast they still arent using solid rear axles

it definitely does not have leaf springs.

i know the z06 has leaf springs, dont know if there still using the leaf springs in the zr1

the z06 has leaf springs??? that is news to me.

nevermind i took myself to school… its a transverse leaf spring design. when you initially said it i thought immediately of the style setup on my truck and i’m like no fucking way…

Transverse leaf spring yes but it’s still a leaf spring. The very same technology that brought the frontiersmen out west during the gold rush.

where is the Enzo and bugatti on the list? i know obviously not top 4 but can you tell me there times?

lets not forget model t and model a fords ehh?