Loud Whistle under light/medium throttle in 06 wrx

this is something that has been bugging me for some time now but it has been too cold out to look into. There is a loud whistle/screeching that my WRX makes under light to medium throttle, roughly about 30-40% when looking at my scan tool on my phone. it comes from the passenger side of the car so i took a look at all the charge pipes from the turbo and they all look nice and tight so i have no idea what it would be.

the noise only happens under load, revving in neutral does not create the sound. the best way of describing it is that it sounds like how my saturn use to when the throttle body plate was open slightly and the air would make this kind of noise but not the the extent i am hearing on my WRX.

any ideas?

In my experience that usually is a sign of the stock td04 turbo about to go bad.

Oh good, its only got 30k miles on thecar if that

It can be a bunch of other things also, I was just giving a bad case scenario. If it is coming from the passenger side, check the up pipe/down pipe gaskets, the intake manifold/tgv gaskets and the intake/maf pipe connections. If you have an evap tester available, smoke test the exhaust and intake tracks to see if any air is escaping. If you do not find any leaks, I would remove the inlet and check the turbo for oil and shaft play.

did you check for any actual whistles?

the whistle goes whoooooooooooooooooooooo

BEST

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/bubbrubb.gif