ls1 / fbod guys ...questions .. how shoudl this car run ?

98 ls1 formula
90k miles

mods:

airbox replaced with oval filter
bbk 80mm throttle body
zo6 intake mani
255walbro pump
brand new plugs w/ performance wires
EGR system deleate
edelbrock long tube headers
Corvette o2 sensors
3" y pipe
no cats
stock exhaust behind the Y pipe (will receive an E-cutout in the spring)

STOCK ECU tune

its being insisted that others have done similar mods and not needed a tune, i keep insisting the car needs a tune

theres no pertinant codes left in the ECU, the o2 codes and misfire code were taken care of today (original o2’s and a broken plug) the rest is just emmissions system stuff

on a 25-100 roll, the formula beat an ls2 suv by 1.5 cars

should run just fine. has a nice start on basic bolt ons… doesnt need a tune, just needs codes to be turned off… other than that, SHOULD be good

it feels doggy when he hammers it … i donno

also seams to like to backfire once when he lets off … just once tho

he’ll lose some tq down low with the headers…and in this cold itll backfire now and then.

maybe the o2s are no good…i dunno

brand new corvette o2’s, installed today, lack of hp and backfires ahppened on the test drive afterwards , after the car had a good amount of time to warm up and tuine itself some

the only way ull know is if u race another stock ls1 car

if that LS2 SUV was a trailblazer SS, when I drove one it was a dog.

yea, it was, kept thinking blazer when i typed the original post, but i knew that wasnt the right word

it doesn’t need to be tuned, but it should be tuned any time you have a less restriction to the MAS/Maf in this case the oval and TB. doens’t need it i say because my 99 had full exhaust with a lid and ported maf and it hauled the mail pretty well. could’ve done better with tuning. i’d say rock a tune out on it it will extract maybe 15-20 hp at most but it will broaden the powerband by that much more.

You say it feels doggy. Is it an auto? If it is, it might have 2.73s in it, which are not very good at making a car give you that “pull” feeling. I agree totally with what psychopjv said about getting a tune when you start getting into MAF and throttle body modifications. If it isn’t throwing any other codes besides the ones you mentioned, I’d say it should be good to go. Hope that helps.

it is an auto, but when i say its doggy, im refering to how it felt previous to the mods, the car felt a good bit more powerfull down low when it was still stock

fuck it … he wants to SC the car … im talking him into a TC setup …

fuck it … im talking tim into getting truck manifolds … and some TC goodness

Headers will remove some of the down low power, but will add in the higher end. My LT1 motor did the same thing when I put Hooker LTs on; the lower rpm was a bit more sloshy, but it pulled harder higher in the RPM band.

If you wanna race another bolt on LS1 im down…I dont even have a LS6 intake manifold thats another 10rwhp lol…

I just have to change a crank sensor so my car will start.

Have you reset the PCM since you guys put new O2s in the car? or put a full tank of gas back in it?

If you have a K&N filter or one that gets oiled the MAFS collect the oil and the feels like shit…

The formula should eat up one of those SUVS from a roll…

It should run fine without a tune. If it doesn’t, something is wrong. At what point did it start running poorly? That may be a good clue. Even new wires can be bad (resistance can be checked), ditto with a new plug (cracked insulator, etc.). Aftermarket MAF’s are often defective. You could have an intake leak due to the new manifold. And so on.

BTW: cats delete is stupid. It makes the car stink/pollute more and doesn’t add anything to a bolt on car. Too late now though.

TurboLS1, you should race him

your car is pretty stock, lol

I’ll run ya…

:poke: hmmm

lol, its not my car, but ill let Tim know that theres a few people that wouldnt mind racining him