LS1 normal oil pressure at the head?

2001 LS1/T56-swapped car. Cam, springs, pushrods. Stock oil pump, etc etc.

The car has an aftermarket oil pressure gauge in the stock oil pressure sensor location in the back of the heads. At idle (on 10w-30 cheap-o oil) I’m seeing ~10PSI of oil pressure when warm.

This seems a bit low, even for the heads - what is the normal oil pressure at this area of the motor?

I think mine is in the 40’s at idle.

Also, my sensor kept crapping out in the stock location. I moved it to the front driver’s side of the block and haven’t had a problem since.
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/1160156-plug-n-play-oil-pressure-sensor-relocation-kit.html

On the stock gauge or an aftermarket gauge? In the stock location or elsewhere? At the oil filter housing area I would expect to see much more, but since the stock location at the rear of the heads is such a high location, I’m wondering if it just doesn’t get as much pressure.

I see mid 30’s?

On the stock gauge. Relocated sensor. It might even be in the 50’s at idle. I keep trying to picture it. 10 is definitely too low, though.

Since you are using an aftermarket gauge, maybe try it in the other location on the side of the motor? You’ll see a plug with an allen head. It’s the same threads as the sensor. I know people have trouble with the sensor in the stock location - some say it leaks and some say there is heat build up that causes it to fail. Either way it fails.

how is oil pump o ring?

I was careful when putting the oil pump back in, but that doesn’t mean it for sure isn’t the problem.

Perhaps I’ll try relocating the sensor tonight to the side of the motor and see what it reads there. 40PSI from that port is “normal” then?

& color,u need a red one! where u after the aftermarket gauge will be about the 2nd highest,first would be the left of the motor where the plug is!

Alright, sounds like I should drop the oil pan and see what the o-ring looks like.

Also, is this something I can just pick up from AutoZone or somewhere? Anyone have a part number?

O ring should be dealer item. I’m seeing 65 at idle my 2010 truck sees 20 once dod kicks in.
However 10 is low extremely. I wouldn’t run till its correct.

Alright. I’m going to rip it apart ASAP and I’ll report back, hopefully with a cracked/torn/unseated o-ring. As long as the problem isn’t anything bearing-related, I’m happy :slight_smile:

Red O ring part# 12584922 my be a pack of 5,i stock them pm me ur addy & i’ll mail u one!look on ebay muscle rods or something like that make a nice p/u to oil pump 2 bolt flange,i use them all the time

I have that just for the piece of mind.

I can’t seem to find this. What exactly are you guys talking about?

where the pick up tube meets the pump(1 bolt flange) This wraps aroung it making it a 2 bolt flange,try car shops.I’ve been looking but cant find it either!

you better find them pewter i want to buy one off you! that means around 2012 u better have one in stock

man, i thought i had the award for lowest oil pressure in a ls1…

GuffEy’s on it!

Here you Go:

http://www.brphotrods.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BRP&Product_Code=LS1-G&Category_Code=CNV1

Thanks todd,Brain fart @ old age!