LSD on FWD

It’s great for launches in the summer, but what about really icy conditions? I think it is really dangerous when both your steering wheels lose traction. At least with an open diff, one of the wheels is always going road speed. I noticed that the Altima SE-R went with traction control instead of LSD. Comments?

Depends how you drive, IMO. Then again, my Spec doesn’t get driven in the snow either.

Since my LSD really seems to work only under acceleration, emergency maneuvers shouldn’t really be affected. I’d say tires are a more important issue than the LSD.

Good point about the tires. My point is that a RWD with LSD doesn’t need to worry about the tires that do the turning breaking loose when accelerating out of a corner.

It’s all hypothetical anyway. I don’t drive like a fool during winter so I’ve never run into problems. However, I’m a big rally fan so I do a lot of “what if” armchair driving.

Also, I wanted to post something so you would stop :cry about nobody posting in the forum that you are modding :yawinkle:. What about the Altima SE-R’s lack of LSD?

Well, normally I would think that it was a mistake because trying to harness that much power with an open diff would be difficult in the corners. However, think about the average person that is going to buy that car - I’m thinking mid-30’s family man who wants a sporty sedan. That type of person probably isn’t going to autocross or do any tight corner performance driving, and realistically on the highway the lack of an LSD isn’t going to matter too much.

That said, I love the Altima SE-R and wish I could afford one. But for the same money there are many many choices out there, so I’m not sure how it’ll do in the marketplace.

As for the RWD stuff, sometimes I wish I could have my old '81 Toyota Corolla back - it only had 88 HP and was an automatic, but it handled amazingly well in snow, even on shitty near-bald all seasons. Oh yeah, and it was damn near impossible to destroy.

I’m also a rally fan. I can’t help but cheer for Skoda - they never win anything and they rarely score points, but it’s kind of fun cheering for the underdog. I really like Markko Martin - I think you’ll see huge things from him in the future. Too bad it’s now more or less impossible to find rally racing on Speed - they give it about 90 mins of coverage a month! :finger

Oh, and by the way, it’s my forum and I can cry if I want to. :smiley:

I drove a ITR in Switzerland…where they have the road to really put those cars through their paces and the LSD realy helps to pull you out of the corners unless you lose traction.

LSD is good I guess. I’d really have to drive the exact same car without it to really tell you if there’s any major benefit. I drove mine in the winter the first year I had it. Hella fun! If you know how to drive, you’re good to go.

OK, i drive a nissan NX2000 SR20DE FWD with an LSD, now i lived in victoria drove when it was snowing with my summer rain tires that us west coasters are able to run year round. works beutifully. really nice when you need to start off and both wheels hook instead of one spinning. on the turning aspect of it, LSD only goes “on” for lack of a better word when you are powering out of a corner. At least thats how i notice it in my experience.

Yep! Pretty much. Is that your excuse for driving so fast? :wink: he he he…

I’ve driven both open and LSD in the winter with LSD. I drive like a jackass in the winter and the LSD makes it about 100000x easier to rotate. Hmmmm… just like on dry pavement.

I would say it depends, mostly on the type of LSD, and exact conditions.

love mine. helps keep me out of sh*t

I hate FWD LSDs in the snow not nice at all!