Lt1 Clutch Problems

Ok so i finaly got my new low mile motor in my firebird. Runs great. But the other day i tried to do a little burn out i dumped the clutch and i thought i was spinning the tires but i was sadly mistaken… I was spinnin the clutch. The clutch is only 5000 miles old. And the motor is stock. What gives??

you play you pay. thats normally how it goes

Stock clutch? Sounds like you need a new clutch.

Make sure the Hydraulic system is bled properly or fluid full/clean. I used a stock LT1 clutch for several years behind my 461 BBC. It held up rather well in such a heavy vehicle (4600 lbs).

air in the clutch wont cause it to slip. It sounds like there is something wrong, keeping the clutch from engaging the flywheel. Did you get oil or anything like that on the clutch during the motor swap?

air in the hydraulics will definitely cause it to slip

x2 been there done that

x3

Hey genius, what happens when you get air in a hydraulic brake system?

OO OO I KNOW I KNOW

I dont understand how air in the hydraulics will cause the clutch to slip. You use the hydraulic part of the clutch to dissengage, not engage. I know what air in the brakes do.

With air in the hydraulics of the clutch, the clutch wont release. How would that cause it to slip?

no need to be a dick, i’ll go toe to toe with anyone on automotive diagnostic knowledge.

I take it back he is correct. Air in the system would cause a disengagement issue not an engagement issue.

check trans fluid level?

I don’t use my toes to diagnose stuff. Unless I have to count :squint:

technically it could release if only a small amount of air in system. These systems are sometimes tricky to bleed & will still disengage with air in them. I think the OP needs to give us a little more info for us to diagnose this on the interweb.

no, he isnt

i had air in my hydraulics and my clutch slipped like hell, once i got the mityvac and bled it really good it has not slipped once

the hydraulics of a clutch push on the fingers of the pressure plate, then it will release the clutch. You can take the slave cylinder completely off the car and the car will basically be direct drive. How would that cause the clutch to slip? Unless the slave cylinder or master cylinder were not returing back to their resting position, then it would cause it to slip.

An LT1 has a unique clutch assembly - a pull-type clutch. When you depress the clutch pedal, the center of the pressure plate is pulled out to disengage the disc. The LT1 is backwards of most other clutches. The slave cylinder pushes towards the front of the car. The fork is mounted in the middle to a ball stud, which becomes the fulcrum.

Porsche uses the same type of clutch.

ok, still the same in theory. How would air in the system cause it to slip unless the slave didn’t return back all the way to its resting position.

I can’t disagree with you. I know people have had issues with an LT1 & air in the system. If there is air in the system it could disengage slowly causing slippage. If the clutch is slipping while driving down the road, then more than likely the hydraulics are not the problem.

Again, it’s senseless to debate without the OP chiming in & answering some of our questions.

just a note, but when i had air in the lines (although this is not the lt1 style clutch/hydraulics, but rather the 98+ style) if i was in 4th gear and floored the car, it would slip

actually, it slipped all of the time until the day i spent 3 hours with the mityvac making sure i got all of the air out, and since then it has not slipped even once