mac crew: hard drive installation

i have a macbook with the shitty 60gb hard drive. i want to install a 320gb hard drive - i already ordered a samsung off newegg

anyways, I really don’t want to switch to leopard yet, I am satisfied with Tiger and while I’d like to switch, most of my pro audio software I don’t trust running on leopard - i’m afraid a handful of audio units won’t work and i’ll be super pissed and lose a lot of productivity time. i could always check to see if they’re compatible, i guess…but read on:

i have two external HDs here with a fairly large amount of space - is there a way to basically mirror my small hard drive onto one of my externals, then mirror it onto the new hard drive, and essentially have little to no change minus the addition of space to my mac?

i’m really dreading installing a new OS…this is my main and pretty much only computer minus a PC laptop backup for worst-case scenarios. i’m assuming mac os doesn’t “degrade” over time like windows tends to do either, so there isn’t much benefit to reinstalling tiger all over again…and it will take an entire day to throw a new OS and install everyyyything, plus I actually have a handful of software I paid for and all those keys I have to register etc etc

anyone have a decent solution for me?

thanks

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/13260

I just did a quick search…I just don’t know about resizing the drive after…I will look at it more after I wake up.

yeah I was looking into that - anyone here have success using it for what I’m doing?

also - does the mac os “degrade” over time - should I just man up and reinstall everything for sake of performance?

Mirroring comes with issues.

There is always the possibility that something might become corrupt, so I would have your software ready to go for a re-install just in case.

All Operating systems degrade somewhat over time. But if you’re not having any issues and you dont feel it’s worth your time, just dont do it.

I would just do a fresh reinstall…

and fuck Tiger…

Fresh install with Leopard for sure

yeah, I’m with with these guys. Fresh install would probably be your best option.

either that, or buy a laptop USB HDD enclosure and use the larger drive for storage, and leave the 60gb for the OS and program files.

If I were you, I would tar up my home folder and then untar it on the new machine. You can do the same with your apps folder(assuming you are sticking with Tiger. If Upgrading to Leopard, I would do fresh installs of the programs).

It is not a true imaged drive, but it is a good way to get back all your shit.

tough call. i’m going to look into compatibility for some of my major plugins.

i am killing this computer, i need a fucking massive desktop. rendering takes sooo long and if it freezes one more time…ugh

I would just copy it with SuperDuper! or CarbonCopyCloner, they both work very well.

10.5 does have some nice features, but im running 10.4.11 after i swapped hard drives, and i dont really miss leopard much. Although i likely will install it when i get my new drive.

my girlfriend used SuperDuper to make an image of her hard drive when she got a new one. worked great and didnt take all that long to copy the data over to the new drive