Machine Shops Local to the Capital District

So as a few of you may know, I’m beginning to get to the stage of “where the hell do I bring my block and head to get machined?” I’ve heard so much great and nothing bad about Hunt’s machine shop although I have never personally done business with them.

My HOPES are to get some sleeves (still deciding on those), main and rod bearings (mains have additional oiling holes, so milling of main journals is required), balancing, decked block and head, possible CNC’d combusion chambers, 5-angle valve job, p&p, valve guides and seals, stainless valves installed (stock diameter and stem installed height to spec). More or less, I’m looking for someone who knows exactly what they’re doing to do all of the insides to my engine so I don’t take the opportunity to mess them up.

It seems all of you stand behind their work well. Also, my brother has had some good experiences with Gall in Vorheesville, but I don’t know to what extent of work they do there…

I’m just trying to find a place that is efficient and cost-effective, which sounds to me like Hunt’s. So what are your opinions?

Thanks guys!

I had all my GTP work done at Hunts. I was very satisfied with the results but for the head work, more so the porting, I would recommend Applied Flow in CP. They are both great businesses and I dont think you will be disappointed in either of there work

Hunts and applied flow are both good. Talk to Boxersix/Adam, he works at hunts and can probably give you the best advice on everything.

Adam, is he the tall slender guy who wears glasses?

thats him

That guy is pretty cool, met him at JVG’s…

Thanks for the input so far guys. :banana

LOL @ Adam’s slenderness

My motor is at Hunt’s right now courtesy of Adam himself.

Yeah well compared to my fat ass, he’s a slenderness guy.

me and u both :lol

I use hunts and mark @ applied flow literally all the time.

Mark is very picky about the quality of his work and the details that go into it…

^^^ agreed def. applied flow is top notch. i have had some stuff done at hunt’s too, and they’re work is great, and they are some nice people to deal with.

def talk to adam/boxersix… he’ll take care of you

As they all said…BoxerSix aka Adam will be able to offer the best service and advice. PM him.

Hunts does great work and his successful business and reputation should speak for itself.

BoserSix - Adam on here is just a guru of all traits :bowdown

So I have seen, and heard. Looks like I wil go with my original place of intrest, Hunt’s for the machining and will be looking into Applied Flow for some headwork.

Thanks again dudes!

I’m going to be damn near impossible to break free for any other work until about the first week of May but I can always discuss your wants/needs. As it is I’m working 16hr days to get Jesse’s M3 done in time and that’s going to be SUPER close on the deadline…Motor work, yea just call and talk to Dave or Shaun down at DHMC and let him know I sent him your way. They’ll discuss the details and general pricing with you and let you know a rough time schedule. Gary will do the machine work on the block, if it needs assembly and Dave or Mark don’t have the time to assemble I can probably break free for a day and put it together for you but that’s going to be a play it by ear situation for me at the moment.

End of Feb into April is my busiest time of the year here. That time allotment usually fills up withing 2-3 weeks with the cars being prepped, Jesse being one of them.

DHMC 372-7177
My cell/shop 225-8384

Yeah, I figured time was an issue, and thats why I’m being patient with the whole thing. I suppose I can assemble the engine myself, as long as everything is machined and all of the seals/guides/sleeves are installed (since I don’t have those capabilities).

Engine assembly is like playing with legos. It’s obvious where the parts go but you do have to pay special attention to how you install them. Follow a book and its no sweat. Good Luck

Yeah, I’ve already done my quad’s engine and am currently doing engine rebuilding and measurement in school, but I still want something of this caliber to be done by someone who really knows what they’re doing.