Good place to have cylinder head checked/machined/cleaned

So, I have once again gone and done it. I picked up a car that needs a head gasket (on purpose this time I promise), and would like to get some opinions/recommendations on a good machine shop to have a BMW M52TU cylinder head inspected, valve seals replaced, and machined if necessary.

I’ve asked my father in law and he uses Napa, but I have heard of some less stellar results. However, this is basic machine work and I klnow results may vary. In the past I used Hunts, but if anyone on here knows better, please let me know!

Thanks in advance guys!

I’ve heard good things about Mark (I believe) at Applied Flow

noels machine shop. never had any engine work done by them personally but they’ve done a few flywheels for me. Always have a few engines in there torn apart every time I’ve been there. they look like they know what they are doing

Good to know. Relatively quick turnaround? Somewhere within a week, perhaps?

they are same day for flywheels

Oh cool, sounds like it wouldn’t be too bad for a cylinder head then.

Benny is talking about mark atkins at applied floe technologies. Best thing is to e mail him mark@aftracingheads.com

In my opinion he is bar none the best machinist in the area.

Good to know, I may have to send him the Buick stuff to get checked out when I pull the drivetrain this fall/winter.

Atkins fixed my AFR head and it looked better than brand new. Pricey, but definitely worth it in my opinion.

Mark Atkins is THE best. hands down. I wouldnt trust anyone else.

now that this has been answered, what do you guys think about the napa machine shop on wolf road? I already got a lot of machine work done over their but engine is not put back together yet.

Napa sucks

agreed we used to use them at the dealership since they were only 15 minutes away but switched to hunts after getting burned by napa a couple times.