Machining Aluminum Parts??

Sorry, just reading this thread.
People think 6061 is baller?:lol:

it’s funny when people refer to it as “Aerospace grade”… like it’s something special. It’s the cheapest, most common aluminum available. No where near the strength of 2000 or 7000 series alloys. But like every alloy, they have a primary characteristic which gives them an edge over certain applications.

When i was building robots i loved working with 3035 because the chromium and manganese made it super shiney and made it easy to forget why i was machining it.

“baller” aluminum based on stength is 7178-t6 or T651.

Are you kidding me? As gummy as 6061 is, it’s still workable with hss dry, 304 either needs carbide w/coolant or ceramic inserts. The only person here who sounds like a blowhard is you. What exactly do you do anyways that would make you think 304 is a better option than ANY grade of alum?

I really don’t think I’ve heard anything that retarded in my entire career. Thank god you don’t work for me.

You know I still work with you, right?

I may have been able to knock them out on the Bridgeport for ya in a jiffy or use my connections in our “World Class” machine shop.

Edit - Dude I have chunks of 6061 and 2024 almost on a daily basis. Stop by next time.

I’ve got Paul D doing them for me instead; but if you wanna grab them from him for a side project, go for it.

I leaned away from plastics because the parts are threaded; and they ride back-and forth on a rotating threaded shaft. The current plastic parts have deformed GREATLY at the threaded areas such that the threaded holes are now slots due to the side/bending load on the parts. This is what is causing the screen mechanism to not work properly. The part bending/flexing due to the slop in the threads on the inside of the part; combined with the flexing of a tab on the part which is the “stop” for the screen.

And like has been said in this thread by myself and a LOT of other people; 6061 is so common it’s not even funny. It’s not like I spec’d out A286 Stainless or something.

unobtainium = baller

this thread is awesome

a person asks for something pretty specific, and everyone on the forum (except mike) that can not provide it has something to say about it.

you people make my ass twitch

I was too late, he already had a source.
I just had to say something aboot the 6061.

Why the hell should he have to explain it?? Its not like hes trying to buy a monkey for a 3 yr old. :shrug:

^ hahaha.

Are you a fucking moron, or just illiterate?

I not only could provide it, but could have machined it, from whatever alloy mixed with goat semen that he wanted. I was merely responding to the threaded discussion that occurred in response to the OP

I didn’t know that we were only allowed to reply to the TS?

he thinks that you are talking about 304 stainless (often S30400).

Though i know of no alloyed aluminum with the designation 304… unless you meant wrought AA 3004 or something.

I’ve been wrong before.

EDIT: checked efunda… i see no alloy 304 aluminum.

My point was that there was no reason to specify the material in that manner other than wanting to sound pompus. It had nothing to do with whether or not 6061 was an appropriate choice for his application. It rather implied that not only would any plethora of aluminum grades work, many other materials would as well. And while it may be a common easy machining alloy, if it doesn’t really matter what you get, then why list it in the first place? Machine shops love people that do things like that, and leave standard title block tolerances on drawings when they don’t need them. Sure, you’ll get what you want, but understanding why you ask for something often dictates that you will be far less restricting. Simply specifying “aluminum” would have been more than sufficient.

In that thought, then I could get 1000 series which is soft as butter and would bend just as bad or worse than the plastic the parts are made from the start. Or 5032H32 which is soft as hell as well (I know this is a sheet-metal grade, but it’s still possible). Mr over-specifying; this would be under-specifying.

I’m not here to compare E-Wangs with you Walter, nor do I need to explain every single choice I make, as you are not my mother, I don’t work for you (THANK GOD), and you don’t have all the information you need to made an informed decision; as such you’re just pulling crap from your big bag of “I’m better and know more than you” which shows nothing except the size of your ego.

Mods: You can lock this now, nothing good can come of this except more shit-slinging. I’ve got a source for my parts which is what I came here for and needed; Not a bunch of E-Engineers who are taking stabs at a decision for which they don’t have all the needed info; Similar to all the E-DRs, and E-Lawyers we have on here.

BS i work at an engineering company, almost everything these engineers do comes out of their ass :lol:

:lmfao:

E-Engineer

Riiiiight.

I wouldn’t hire you to design new crap stools for my outhouse. You are clearly the epitome of professional sucess

http://nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36935

Come back when you aren’t still in your first year of work out of school. I love how you are trying to call me out as an “e-engineer”… I really almost fell out of my chair laughing

What the fuck do you care anyways? You came in here with your big e-fist and totally ruined this thread just to TRY to make yourself look smart but in the meantime, all you’ve done is make yourself look more stupid with each insulting post. No one listens to childish name-calling e-thugs. Haven’t you figured that out yet?

:mamoru:

Captain Save-A-Hoe needs to learn how it goes around here :walter:

And not that it matters, but my “title” is Engineering Supervisor, formerly Senior Project Engineer, formerly Project Engineer, formerly Design Engineer. And my BS was in Mech E / Aero. You are right, I probably have no idea what I’m talking about.

:suckadick:

Perhaps you need to go back a re-read the thread and recap the order of events. I’m not the one that started off implying that I didn’t know what I was talking about, and somehow wasn’t an “engineer” and made some bullet point list. I’m surprised we didn’t get a powerpoint!

You can throw titles around all you want but if you don’t know what you’re talking about, all you can do is make it sound convincing. You’re ALMOST good at doing that but I can still see right through you. I also don’t give a shit ‘how it goes around here’ because I’ll gladly jump right in to make sure a very ignorant know-it-all like yourself gets very made-to-look-like-an-idiot.

Keep pushing your pencil around, just don’t waste your breath on people that actually do the work because you don’t know what I know and you never will.