magellan or garmin?

i have an old magellan gps and its starting to act up and it’s age is showing when im on newer roads, (no map updates available for it), so im in the market for a new one and im wondering if i should switch to a garmin. does anyone have any input as to which brand is better or pros/cons of each?

Garmin or Tom Tom. One of the guys I work with had a Magellan and it would take us places in strange ways and not the quickest way. One day it stopped working in the middle of nowhere, leaving us lost.

My Garmin is about 4 years old and needs updating. Also the voice occasionally stutters and fucks up when saying street names.

My Tom Tom has lifetime free updates. The bitch’s voice is highly annoying but the guy doesn’t speak street names for some reason.

Garmin ftw. I’ve used it down south and as far west as Colorado as well as local and New York City when I was driving tow truck. Never had any issues and the interface is easy and display is nice.

I think you can get one for like $130 now with lifetime maps

garmin it is, now im torn between the 3597 and the 2797…the way i look at it is that i’ve gotten 6 years out of the $120 magellan, $20 per year, so even if i drop 350 on one and it lasts 8-10 years before they do away with updates for maps that only costs about $35 to $44 per year for a much better unit i think the screen on my magellan is like 3.4"

I got my wife a garmin, it’s nice and wasn’t bad at $100 either. The days of “I’m lost” phone calls are gone

Before you buy anything, let me know which one you are looking at and I can get a price for you through me. Depending on where you are buying from (authorized vs. unauthorized dealer) I may be able to at least match or possibly beat the price you find.

For the 3597LMTHD I can do $350 + tax (includes Shift discount) but it is currently on back-order.

For the 2797LMT I can do $280 + tax (includes Shift discount). These are in stock at my distributor so I can typically have it in a couple days.

I also offer hardwire and custom mounting installation services if you wanted to do more than a plug and play install.

iPhone

It’s kind of trivial but I like how Garmin picks out landmarks to turn at rather than streets when possible. Listening to “turn left at the walgreens” to me is a lot easier to spot than “turn left at a certain street” which ocationally leaves you as that idiot straining to see a street sign.

My Garmin doesn’t do that.

I use the Tom Tom a lot more because its in my work van and I usually have to go to the middle of nowhere with it and just use the Garmin for occasionally trips in my personal truck.

that would be really cool if i didn’t always have it muted cause i cant fucking stand it talking to me.

haven’t gave a shit about gps in years, but unless shit has changed (which it doesn’t seem like it has) garmin is best.

The newer ones pick out landmarks. My fathers that I was using out in Washington would pick out a business then say a street name if there was one. It’s usually something like “turn right at the Mobil onto park street”

oem ftw… or garmin lol

Either one of those will work. They might be overkill but I like your theory pay more now and get many years out of it.

I can only deal with phone gps for local shit but when I am going places I’ve never been I much prefer the window mounted.

http://mobile.walmart.com/m/phoenix;jsessionid=3D4B82E4DF78E9724FADA103953E35C0#ip/Garmin-nuvi-50LM-Bundle-5-GPS-w-Lifetime-Map-Updates-and-Friction-Mount/21632073?type=search

That’s what I’ve have I think. Like I said I’ve used it in different city’s all over the country from Jacksonville, to Denver, to my Green Bay road trips and have no issues. Depending on your car and dash the dash pad may be better, I use the window mount and usually put it by the passenger sun visor tight against the rear view mirror.

thanks kenny, im gunna go with the 3597, i saw the 2797 in best buy and the screen is huge, the liberty doesn’t have much space for it, how long do you think it would take to get?

Let me get a hold of my distributor and see if they have an estimated re-stock time. Hopefully it’s won’t be anything major. Shoot me an email (klarowe at kkdgarage.com) when you get a chance so I don’t forget… lol.

Edit: They already got back to me and are expecting to have it back in stock late next week. Once they have it in stock and I order it, it should only take about 2-3 days to come in. Just let me know.

ok ill get in touch towards the end of this month or begining of next.

Sounds good. Just let me know.