GPS Navigation... What to buy?

I’m looking at getting one of the portable GPS Navigation units for my girlfriend for christmas, because she can get lost in her own driveway. The ones I’ve seen so far are the Tom Tom GO 300 and the Magellan Roadmate 300. Does anyone have any experience with the 2 or possibly other options. I’m looking to stay around the $500 mark and it has to have voice guided directions. Tell me what ya know.

I have tom tom and inav/iguidence for my Pocket pc, and i like tom tom better. Tomtom go got some decent reviews too.

damn i like that new tomtom with the BT phone functionality.

i think the tom tom looks better, u got a lucky g/f

Garmin que M3 or M5 I have the M5 and it is awsome and very easy to use

I like the tom tom, very easy to use. If she goes to canada though you have to load your trip from your computer on to the SD card. If you jump up to the TomTom 700 you get the bluetooth capability and it has the canada map built in, just a little more money though. Also check out the Garmin 330c, has pretty much the same features as the Tomtom 300.

OMG, I will pay you to “borrow” your software…

I have been looking for the Tom Tom for my Dell Axim for quite some time now…

Thanks guys, a lot of good info here. Has anyone used the Magellan one, no one at Radio Shack has any clue what they’re talking about. However it says it’s based on the Hertz NeverLost GPS units, anyone ever use that one in a Hertz car?

I like tomtom and Magellin if you are looking to spend 500 or less
600+ I’d recomend Garmin.

The nice thing with Magellin is their lower models also have expansion slots… garmin has removed any expansion untill you get to the much higher series… Unless you want their new tiny screen bastards… trust me you dont.

Adam, are you still working at Stereo? Do they sell anything like this there?

yeah its nice on mine, VGA optimised too!!!

Well I found a great price at WalMart.com on the Magellan RoadMate 300. $470 including tax and shipping.

bump…olddddd bump!

the magellan RoadMate 300… any feedback on that one?

that’s a pretty good deal on it at radio shack now…

I personally don’t like the interface on the magellans, they can be tough to use sometimes. The TomToms have had some reliablity issues. I would go with the Garmin SPC340, you don’t get bluetooth but you do get Text-to-speech for $349 right now at CC. If you want bluetooth jump up to the spc550 for $499. But if want a reliable unit and don’t need text-to-speech or bluetooth, the spc330 is on sale right now for $249. I would definatey go with a garmin unit though, easy to use, US and Canada maps preloaded, and from what I’ve see, the most reliable.

i’ll have to get up to CC… i’ve only got a radio shack around here. thanks

bluetooth sounds like it would be very helpful when driving… thoughts on someone that used it?

I just noticed this, someone posted under my name 6th post down, creepy.

[quote=“supry,post:17,topic:4678"”]

[/quote]

are you at a school or somthing, REMEMBER TO LOG OUT :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“supry,post:17,topic:4678"”]

[/quote]

had to be jay… its from 2005

bump anyone else?