Making a ticking noise. *UPDATE*

My S13 is my a ticking noise. Not when I am accelerating but at all other times when moving. Sounds like it is coming from the rear. Planning on a long drive this weekend. Would like it resolved by then. Anybody have any ideas as to what it is?

time bomb, in the diff. got any xgf’s or anyone that hates you?

DO I EVER! Why didn’t I think of that?

do a kerosene flush - it worked on my mx6

its your timing chain?

tick-tick-tick :bom:

Check the heat shields on the rear brakes … S13s are notorious for having them rust and fall into moving parts.

If it is from the rear end it is your brakes. If it is from the front it is more than likely the timing chain. There are a few ways to solve that damn slapping noise however eventually it will need to be replaced. That friggin noise brings back so many terrible memories. Check to see were it is coming from first then reply back.

Bryce

Have you checked for exhaust leaks? A blown gasket could be the problem. Look under your car while its running and inspect all the gaskets for moisture bubbling or leaking out. It might be simple as that.

Ok, so I am on my way to Toronto this morning and all of a sudden it feels like I blew a tire. I pull over and look and everything looks in order. I try to drive again and it feels like the rear end is hopping from side to side…? So I start driving back to Woodstock on the shoulder and about 10km later the problem is gone replaced by the same “ticking” sound as before. I am almost positive it is the same problem as before but just got worse. The ticking sound was 10x as loud as usual but same concept. Only REALLY loud when I let off the gas. Please help I want to get this fixed today.

check your diff fluid. if theres any in there… :?

Where can I check that?

Underneath the car, get the jack, put it under the diff, jack it up a bit till you can put some jack stands under the rear… then get a ratchet (i think 3/8") and theres a fill & drain plug in the diff, obviously the top one is fill. open te top plug, and if fluid comes out, its full.

if fluid doesnt come out, use a stick or something or ur finger to see the color of the fluid…

champagne color = good
black/brown/grey/lumpy = change…

Just buy like 2 or 3 bottles of some 75w90 and fill it up, chances are the additives in the diff fluid have weared away and you’ve got metal on metal contact inside and that might be the noise…

Hope this helps

thanks dude.

lemme know how it goes, i dont really think its the diff tho because, it would be more of a clunk than ticking noise, but check it anyways…
I think Mr. 200 had the next best guess… those heatshields are fuckers.
pop off the tire and take a look, also look at the exhaust system and cat heatshield.

Its not the heat shields. I had that problem with my last 240. I guess it is more of a clunking sound. Or was today anyways. Just couldn’t find the right word to describe it. :? I’m gonna go check it out now. Wish me luck. lol

Not the problem… Diff. fluid was fine. Champagne colour like you said. Anybody else have any ideas??? I know timing chain was mentioned. But I have a 93, I read some where only the sohc have the timing chain problems…

dohc too, why dont u start it up and drive beside it, or rev it parked, see if you can track it down…could be lots of things, find the area of noise first then its easier to figure out what the noise is itself

I’d check your wheel bearings perhaps as well… I’ve never heard them tick but they can get loud.

All ideas welcome. I am going to spend tomorrow on this.