Manual trans fluid

Does anybody know where i can buy 75w-90 GL-4 trans fluid? I would prefer for it to be local. I checked autozone,advanced,napa, k&s. They all said no. any info would help. Its for a sr20det btw. Thanks

Did you try innovative tuning? I have no idea what kind of stock they have…but its worth a shot

75w-90 GL-4 is gear oil. If you’re asking them for trans fluid most places think you’re talking automatic transmission. I’m thinking you just got someone who didn’t know WTF u were talking about, which is pretty typical at most parts stores.

Most if not all autoparts stores stock 75-90 Gear oil, look on the bottle but I believe most are GL4 rated.

It’s the same oil that’s used in axle differentials.

Yea i actually went into the store and found 75-90 but its all gl-5. From what i have read online inthe sr forums is that the gl-5 somehow fucks the syncros up.

---------- Post added at 01:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:30 PM ----------

never thought about mike. i will give him a call.

---------- Post added at 01:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:30 PM ----------

never thought about mike. i will give him a call.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/accessories/accessoriesShelf.jsp?categoryDisplayName=Oil%2C+Fluid%2C+Lubrication+and+Tools&fromType=accessories&fromString=search&parentId=1312-10&filterByKeyWord=75w+90&currentPage=1&navValue=100837&categoryNValue=101312&fromWhere=&itemId=837-10&displayName=Gear+Oil

GL-4 and GL-5 are standards set by the American Petroleum Institute for gear oils. GL-4 are intended for axles with spiral bevel and hypoid gears operating under moderate to severe conditions of speeds and loads. They are also suitable for sychronized manual transmissions when MT-1 gear oils are NOT recommended. GL-4 should be used in limited-slip differentials. The GL-4 generally indicates “Limited Slip” properties in the gear oil; sometimes abbreviated as LS.

GL-5 is indicated for high-speed/shock loads and low-speed/high-torque conditions. GL-5 also has multi-purpose or mild EP (extreme) properties too. GL-5 is often seen with the MT-1 designation too.

MT-1 indicates lubricants intended for NON-sychronized manual transmissions. MT-1 indicates the additional additives necessary to protect against thermal degradation, component wear and oil-seal deterioration which are not requirements by GL-4 or GL-5 approval.

GL-5 is not the latest and greatest improvement over GL-4; unlike oil classifications where higher classification numbers mean tougher standards and backward compatiblity. It is important to know what type of gears you are lubricating, their applications and follow the manufacturer’s recommendations! More information can be found at www.api.org.

Learned something new today. GL-5 is not a replacement for GL-4.

Nice little article u found. Yea and the guys at the above mentioned parts stores said oh gl-5 will work fine.

---------- Post added at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 PM ----------

Well i shuold have called innovative in the first place. They have some instock. thanks for the help guys.

It’s surprising that K-S no longer carries it. They’re the one I bought Redline MT-90 from a couple times, although that was ~4 years ago.

yea do not use GL-5 in an older Nissan Trans…glad u found it at Innovative…i got my amsoil from them toooooo