Maxima lower radiator support rot

My Maxima’s lower radiator support is completly rotted out, one of the motor mounts that bolts to the support it just floating. This is obviously very fucking bad. Ill try to get some pics to show everyone how bad it is. Ive done a bit of research and basically everyone just seems to replace the entire support which is a huge job since its spot welded to the subframe. Anyone think itd be possible to just cut out the rotted part and weld in some fresh metal? Drill some holes for the mount to bolt to the support and be done with it? Otherwise it looks like this is a $1500 job minimum from the research Ive done and Im just not willing to spend that much on a 3k car.

I just went out and took a closer look at it, its hanging in there since the mount to the radiator support is V shaped with a bolt at each point of the V. But it looks like right down the middle between them is rotted pretty good so its only a matter of time till the rot finishes off those 2 mounting points. It looks like theres still some OK metal on the top of the support and backside but the front and bottom are in very rough shape. Maybe just weld a plate along the front and bottom over the rotted points to keep everything tied together?

Get a pic up.

I just tried to go take one with my camera phone and it didnt come out good, hopefully the sun will come out later and I can get one with a bit more light.

mine had this same issue, I resolved it by trading it in on a new car and telling the salesman the noise was a broken spring…

Im contemplating the same option, I almost bought a G35 Sedan but opted for the maxima so I didnt have to make payments.

Paging KrazyKid???

:rofl

What year is this thing?

2000, apparently this is a very common issue with these cars.

Yeah its a common problem with all 4th and 5th gen maxima. It happened on my 5th gen, it was so bad that the two bolts at the bottom seperated from the support and wouldn’t let the hood latch system work right, I couldn’t get my hood open until I fixed it.

to replace the whole radiator support is a major task as you have to weld a one in.

I cut mine taking out the rust pieces and welded in new pieces.

crash it.

collect insurance.

buy better car.

profit

nisssans are rot boxes in general , get rid of it before the bottom of the struts rot out and shave your tires

this :thumbup

The Japs just use shitty sheet metal on their cars. NBD

It does appear this way, at least in the late 80’s and most of the 90’s. Toyotas are even worse than Nissans, I had no clue Nissans were so notorious for rot. My dad had a 2000 maxima too and his had 180,000 miles on it and had none of the issues mine is having. But then again he kept his clean 24/7.

I tried snapping some pics again but I really need a camera with flash. Unfortunatly while underneath the car trying to get a picture today I realized I was incorrect yesterday, the section where the crossmember bolts to the support is indeed completly rotted out. If somebody wants to give take a shot at welding in some fresh metal for me Ill give you a few 100 bucks. I need to do something with this before it gets worse. What exactly would happen if the radiator support completly broke in half?

you would get BUTT FUCKED.

Get some pics up maybe I can help you out.

If you can get the bumper cover off, or what ever you need to get access to it, enough to fit a fist down into (mig torch) and wires and crap are out of the way, I could plasma out the shit section, bend up a piece of 16ga sheet and blast it back in for you.

Pics, and ill PM you a quote.

Ill go jack my parents camera from them so I can get some good pics

stop this nonsense and just crash the car already