replacing rad support

hey guys, I need to replace my rad support on my s14 since there is damage to it…I’m getting my hands on one tomorrow.

I spoke to someone today who replaced his rad support himself, he told me that a shop quoted him about $2000 to replace it for him…

he told me he didnt weld the new rad support, but used bolts instead and said it holds just fine.

$2000 seems REALLY high…I thought it would be just two-three hours of work…anyone have experience with this? what is the average SHOP price I should be lookin at?
I’m lookin for a person/shop to do this for me…

If the $2000 is with the car full assembled, it seem plausable. The whole front end would need to be taken off, all the spot welds drilled out, new support welded back in place then all panels put back on and aligned properly. It does seem abit high but it is a very time consuming job.

I wouldnt use bolts personally, It was spot welded in place for a reason, they may hold it fine but could possibly somehow compromise the crumple zones and integrity of the support.

How bad is your rad support? sometimes shops can just straighten it out rather then replacing it.

Good luck

well it isnt too bad, the main thing is the area right behind the grille…the two metal pieces there…they are welded to the latch that holds the hood…and the piece that holds the horn and it’s also the two points where the headlights are supported by the grille…I can compeltely just cut off the hood latch and use the hood pins i got on there right now and use custom brackets for the headlights and grille…if replacing the rad support is too much…should i just not get the rad support and go with that route? cuz i was gonna pay $50 for the rad support…but if it’s more than $200 for the labour i’d rather just make custom brackets and cut off the hood latch lol

drilling spot welds are a bitch. but it is the best route to go if you really like your car. like sidewayz said it is a very time consuming job. and best for you to have a welder. if you do this make sure you dont cut any tabs off, just find all the welds and drill them out. after that just weld another one back in. ooyea dont forget to take some measurements first before you start removing anything (that is if you frame isnt bent) if it is your are pretty much screwed.

nah, the frame isnt bent or anything, it’s just the two metal pieces that reach up to behind the grille, holds the horn as well as the support that holds the headlights on the grille side…also the metal piece that held up the latch where the hood latches onto…

If you do most of the prep work it’ll be ALOT cheaper. Like removing the front end
and everything connected to the rad support and have the shop do weld removal and welding the new support in. It shouldn’t cost you 2000 fuck that. We were quoted around 300 to have a new one welded in or 120 to get it pulled on a 5th gen accord, we choose to get it pulled.

On the S13 I got quotes for a s15 rad support welded in, full conversion installation, custom metal fender welding AND paint matching the new panels for about $1500. So $2000 for a rad support is laughable fuck that get some more quotes don’t go by hearsay information.

It’s definetely not that hard to do, if you have someone that can weld. And you or your friends are knowledgeable at taking off the front end. Even if it takes you 2 days (depending how late you start), and you give everyone 100 bucks, you still saved yourself a crap load of money.

Do it yourself… although do it in a garage if you have to.

P.S. Spot welds aren’t that bad, just make sure you paint over the welds because it’ll start to rust quickly if you don’t. If you can power a drill, you can do it.