Megasquirt on a wrx/sti

Anyone ever hear of one?

Would this work well?

Thanks

yuk. I’d put it on my lawnmower but not an sti. You can put it on whatever you want though…

Mike care to explain ?

Turbocivs car seems to run good on the mega squirt.

mega squirt is for the hardcore DIY’s

Hydra for STi.

the sti motor would be going into a non subaru car that was carbed, so the wire harness would be custom

EDIT: from my understanding the stock engine harness is integrated into the car and a lot of other things making it very difficult to put in a different car

why get a megasquirt?!?..wrx/sti are pretty much like hondas and you can flash the stock ecu (but you dont need to chip it…). Evo’s are the same way…

Using the stock subaru harness is going to be a Pita,

What are the negatives of megasquirt

well you didnt say that…

Umm,

I would say there real aren’t any negatives about the MegaSquirt. Sure it doesn’t have all the bells and whistles as other aftermarket systems but then it is usually 1/3 the price. There is a good bit of wiring and initial programming to figure out. It is however a very robust real time system that keeps growing. I am currently wiring a Turbo 3.4l DOHC Lumina. I will get some pictures tomorrow

msextra.com is a great site to find info on. I dont see why it couldnt be done. If your realy serious about this dan, i can look into it a little farther for ya. Megasquirt would be perfect for this application.

has all the bells and wistles as anyother system.

antilag
launchcontrol
OVER BOOST PROTECTION <------- which is huge. saved my bimmer a couple times when dealing with a couple faulty MBC’s.
realtime tuning,
the list just goes on and on. Sooooo many neat things you can do with this system.

the only negatives to megasquirt is the smaller 16X16 tables. which isnt rely a problem, just not optimal on higher reving motors.

I specifically said you could do it. I just wouldn’t do it.

The downside isn’t bells/whistles, it’s reliability. It’s an open source setup with known issues and cheap hardware. As a shop, the things we put out for our customers need to work properly. I like to test all sorts of things on my own cars but I still wouldn’t even consider putting one on my car.

We’d wire an Autronic SM4 in for this project, same as on my car.

mike, does the autronic use the factory crank pickup?

Is autronic stand alone?

yes. it’s a heavy hitter/fairly baller, too.

I’m using my factory crank reluctor pickup, factory cam hall effect pickups, factory coil on plug setup, factory coolant temp sensor and everything.

As of last night when the guys at Autronic contacted me with some questions, we have the only US STi engine running an Autronic box this way at the moment since the triggering is different on the US STi from the US WRX and all the overseas engines.

Yes Dan it comes with a flying lead harness, 5 bar MAP sensor, and IAT sensor. If you’re interested I can get you one. The SM4 is used widely on open wheel, touring, pro rally, and drag cars as well as street cars.

More Info:
http://www.autronic.com/page_files/sm4_kit.htm