MGA Research

Anyone work/worked there, or did business with them?
Thoughts?

Seem decent? Shady?
It’s a pretty small company so I’m not able to dig up a heck of a lot on them.
Hoping someone here knows a little about it.

If you wait a few days, I’ll have some info. One of the electrical engineers I work with worked there briefly and says it was the worst experience he’s ever had. But I can’t recall why…

Well that’s not what I wanted to hear! hah.
Please do find out what you can, I’ve got some time.

We sent a bunch of stuff there for vibration testing.
Not a bad experiance from my end. I got to sit around and watch stuff shake untile it broke.

So, update here for anyone for the future.

Their fab shop… They’re looking for welders, but not really.
People who chew bubblegum and stick it on their parts is more accurate. (terrible fusion, visable pinholes, don’t grind/clean before welding, I saw a very LARGE amount of vertical down MIG welds on their products, not even welding specs on prints… I did however notice there wasn’t any spatter on their product, and they use very recent machines [mainly inverter machines made in the last couple of years])
Their pay sucks.
Health ins is pretty good, $18 every other week. BCBS.

This I spent about 10 minutes making sure I understood him very clearly on…
He said, any time after 40 hours is HALF time. Not time and a half, HALF. If you are making $16/hr, you are making $8/hr on overtime. He said they often tell you that you have to stay to finish a product (not ASK, you will, this is one other thing I wanted to be very clear with him on). I don’t mind staying late, don’t get me wrong. But Staying late, to make less money, doing the same work? No fucking thanks. He said this is a state law, that the state came in and told them that it must be that way.

Anyway, the main reason I wanted to take a shot with them was they’re 3 miles from my house. I figured it might be worth it. Obviously not.
Obviously if someone from here works there, I’m sure I’ll get a nasty phone call later. But I just wanted it to be known.
He said that there are 5 total welders… 1 has been there 8 years, and the other 4 have been there all less than a year. I think that speaks for itself…
Granted I understand it’s a complete different boat from what I do at my work (all ASME code, majority is Xray), but overtime is half time? really? More like bend over and take it time.

That line on it being a state law was bullshit.

I’d say that their OT rules are probably against the law. There are people exempt from OT, but I don’t think welders are, unless they found some sort of shitty loop hole.

http://www.labor.ny.gov/workerprotection/laborstandards/faq.shtm#5

He told me everyone was previous salaried, and then the state came in and said you’re not allowed to do that… Then said the state requires Half pay for any overtime worked.
Also, I would not work as a salaried welder. That is just plain stupid as welders are usually working ~60+ hour weeks most of the time.

you can find the exceptions on the link there… welders are definitely not listed.
But either way, if a company is paying it’s employees half time, then have you stay late on a regular basis, how on earth is that a good company to work for?
I can understand if there are perks and other stuff to compensate… He specifically stated that their profit sharing bonus outweighs anything you would ever have made on overtime.
But wouldn’t tell me how much the profit sharing bonus for a typical person is as it depends on how much work you’ve contributed.
Just fuckin’ shady.

I agree, super sketchy and probably best avoided.

email to NYS Labor dept sent as well :]

My husband works for a payroll company and explained the pay to me.

If you work 45 hours per week the company likes to keep track off total hours worked so you would get paid $16/hr for 45 hours and then the other 5 hours would be shown on your paystub as overtime and you would get paid $8 per hour for those. So in reality you are still getting time and a half pay for those 5 hours. The labor dept. would shut them down in a heartbeat if they didn’t pay time and a half for overtime.

This is exactly what the labor dept told me.
He said he was confident that HR was just explaining it to me poorly.

Although the gentleman at MGA definitely told me it’s half time… as he even used the example that people complain that they lost money working OT.

Labor board said they’ll investigate it if someone working there files a complaint.
and that’s where I left it at.

Good decision to pass on that. I finally tracked down my guy who worked there and he said basically the same thing. They are an awful company to work for…