Michael Schumacher - skiing Accident

How is where it was mounted GoPro’s problem? If said human being can’t mount said camera properly, said human is at fault. I don’t wish bad on anyone…but if anyone is to blame here it’s not GoPro. Many people use their cameras on their helmets and many people (I’m sure) have wiped out. Perhaps people should put the blame where it really needs to be…and that’s on Schumacher’s skiing ability that day. I don’t know if he’s an avid skiier or not, but maybe he was tired or something that day and wasn’t focused and thus wrecked? Blaming a freaking tiny camera mounted with a stick mount or suction cup is ASININE! I’d be a little more understanding if they were blaming the helmet…for not protecting his skull. But the camera? To quote the NFL…come on, maaannn.

#Ihatepeoplewhoblameotherpeoplefortheirmistakes

Captain obvious in the building :tup:

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131130032552/dragonball/images/0/0c/Img-haters-gonna-hate-panda-352.jpeg

The whole “the mount made it worse” thing is interesting. Helmets go through all kinds of impact testing but no one tests how they respond to those same impacts once you stick a piece of hard plastic on top that could end up concentrating the impact on a less than 1" square section. GoPro’s response of “Our mounts aren’t that strong and tend to fall off on severe collisions, but we’ve never done any scientific testing on the matter” isn’t encouraging either, especially when they ship the cameras with a bunch of helmet mounts.

You can bet somewhere there’s a lab out there right now smashing helmets with and without GoPro mounts stuck to the top of them.

If you mount it on your surfboard and crash it may poke your eye out.

A little over 4 years ago, i blew a tire and wiped out on a on-ramp into a guardrail. Only 2 years after Obama was elected. I blame Obama. Or the tire manufacturer. Either one.

but it CERTAINLY was not my fault.

Go Pros website specifically calls out the safety requirements of the helmet mfg.

Did the helmet he was wearing specifically state - Do not affix anything to the helmet…may reduce benefit of helmet in an impact situation.

Fantastic. My GoPro tripled since the IPO, and then lost 20% yesterday.

I’m still holding it.

I think it came off easy on my crash. lol (start at 1:12)

https://youtu.be/qC9AjbCu6BM

Though vague, this description of Schumacher’s condition seemingly corroborates a report from December of 2018 wherein a health professional allegedly described Michael as non-vegetative. Assuming this development was true, it’s easy to understand why the Schumacher family remains optimistic even though Michael’s recovery to this point has taken more than five years.

Bump because I just watched the Schumacher Netflix documentary and while it didn’t shed any updates to his condition, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Edit- I just realized today marks 8 years since the accident.

1 Like

Hell of a bump due to the date.

I actually watched this the other week and really loved it. Learned a lot about him and amazed at the start of his carrier. Winning races when he was younger with used/garbage parts from other drivers. Beating those with fresh tires, fresh parts while using garbage picked tires. IMPRESSIVE.