Might be buying this car....

Don’t listen to everyone about blowing the tranny. Sure it will happen if you bang on it, but its not just a ticking time bomb. The biggest risk is blowing 2nd gear on a hard 1-2 shift. If you are smart about it, there should be no problems.
That WRX is way better than an SRT anyday.

you can do the swap but for the price of swap might as well sell car and buy STI.
for what i understand the STI trans hold up really well.

sti transmission swaps in, its very strong, but super expensive.

another option would be, dont hammer your car like an asshole and the transmission wont explode.

REX. remember its just a neon with a turbo

Eh…what’s the point of having a powerful modded car and treating your tranny like it’s made of glass? IIRC, they put the same transmission in base level WRX as the 2.5RS (non-turbo) vehicles.

The subaru guys have a saying on their boards:

The best upgrade for a WRX is…the STI package.

This is the most retarted thing I have heard. Every car has weak points. This transmission thing is being totally blown out of proportion. Don’t drive like an ass and it will be fine. I have autocrossed and drag raced my WRX and haven’t broken anything. Sure I may have left a few 10th’s on the table by not dumping the clutch as hard, but guess what I win if I did, nothing.

Buy the car. It’s very nice.

I’m not saying you have to treat it like its made of glass. but there are a ton of people who are nearly doubling the factory hp on these cars, rev it up to 5 grand and dump the clutch and are astonished to find their transmission scattered all over the road.
i’ve had mine a little over 3 years now. it see’s well over 30,000 miles each year i’ve owned it and its far from babied and i’ve never once had a problem.

you may be right… but my roommate has an STI, and with my accessport and exhaust i’m still faster than him… and i’m paying 250 less a month. so for me and my budget, i’ll just have to stick with the regular old WRX for now.

What kind of 60’ times do you lay down?

His STI seems slow to me. Both cars on stock injectors he should have a massive advantage anyway you slice it. In any event, the regular WRX is a good performance bargain, and a fun car to drive, however to the OP is looking to buy a WRX with far more extensive mods than just an exhaust and a tune. Cars with those kinds of mods are the type that break trannies.

this would save you from worrying about the trans :bigok:

http://pittspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42066

i hear what you are saying… but now that i’ve re-read the first post, i’m guessing he’ll be too busy blowing engines to get to the blowing transmissions part.

…wonder why it got that “all new engine”

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/car/690061137.html

mines def. a better value… just sayin

LOL

thats it!!!