Subaru

so im considering getting a daily driver come spring time or so.
Neon will more than likely be thrown into the garage and have an SRT4 motor swapped in or another 2.4 engine with srt internals and turbo kit from the srt4.

Been thinking of a wrx for quite some time now, looking for 2000 to 2005 5spd non sti.
I know theres a few people on the board with some and just wanted to get a little info.
Hows the comfort and power on a non sti 5spd wrx? Any common problems with them? I’ve heard driving in the snow is NO problem at all and is extremely fun :slight_smile:

I’d be looking to spend around 16,000 or less. Seen a few around for that price or lower, chad pointed out one at Wrights for around 14,700 able a week ago but i think it has been sold.
I was also thinking an SRT-4 but dont think i’d wanna spend anymore then 12,000 for one of those
Gimmie some opinions on the WRX and how it stands up to other comfortable/sporty cars.

you are correct on the pricing.
it is a good daily driver, never had any problems getting anywhere ever.
they have a few common problems, but if you really are buying it solely for the purpose of daily driving, and you are leaving it stock, i doubt you’ll run into anything major.

only thing i have to say, and dont take this the wrong way… but, why would you put a neon away as a project and have a wrx as your regular car?
it seems to me that you would spend a substantial amount of money to make your “race” car as fast as your daily driver.
if you put similar money and parts into the wrx project you would be way ahead of any stock srt setup.

all that being said… feel free to give me a call if you want to meet up and take mine for a test drive. its pretty much stock so you can get a pretty good idea about how one will drive.

its a good thing they never made a 2000-2001 WRX.

Neon is for DD…WRX>Neon

hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA013337/car/index.htm

you’ve driven one.:bigthumb:

everyone is allowed their projects and opinions.

absolutely.
hey. a subaru is a four door, four cylinder. i’m sure theres a ton of people on here that think that would be a ridiculous project too… but i guess my point is just that if i owned a wrx and a neon and had X amount of dollars for a project, i would choose the one that stood to gain more for that investment of X dollars.
from what he described, he’s looking to basically make his car an srt neon. my point is that a stock srt and a stock wrx are going to be fairly evenly matched… if you’re going to drop a few grand into something why not make it the wrx and be that much farther ahead?

besides that… when was the last time you ever saw a neon look this hot?
http://www.pittspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?p=497246#post497246

dont the wrx’s hit a brick wall after the basics? then they get expensive to mod just saying in relation to a neon

neon would be just a toy… (pretty much like a kid and a gokart) lol
and wrx would have just the basic bolt on’s, Intake, exhaust, maybe front mount… but thats it nothing major

ehh. i dont know about a brick wall. its like everything else i guess. there are a couple low budget, high output mods taht everyone does first… exhaust, boost control, computer reflash etc… but when you start getting into internals or anything else it gets more expensive, and your not getting the HP per dollar you spend the same as you would with an exhaust or something basic.
but that would be the same thing with any of the SRT parts i imagine.

I thought I heard the 2002-ish wrx’s had glass trannys. Easily broken with poor driving or moderate power. Don’t know the specifics, but might be worth reading up on before purchase.

chris

i have also heard this… but mine (moderate power) has been driven by chad (poor driver) many times and no problems.

i dont know… if you hammer on anything it’s going to break. i’m not saying the wrx is an end all be all of automobiles, i’m saying that if i had a neon and a wrx, i would be racing the wrx and daily driving the neon. just adding my opinion as an owner.

:stick:

:rofl:

i have a 04 wrx and love it. I have the basic mods and its pretty damn quick. I did have a tranny problem at 18k miles which was a small problem that subaru knew about but never did a recall on them. It seems at high rpms 5500+ and when u shift into 4th and 5th it would grind do to a lack of oil getting to the synchos but subaru put a brand new tranny in mine. The awd kicks ass in the snow and i cant wait to get sum snow so i can have sum fun and feel safe about it cuz i have awd. As far as the bolt ons go u can do the basic stuff like exhaust and pcm and get close to 280-290hp out of it and if u step up to a larger turbo and front mount ur talking 300+ hp and feel safe about driving it everyday with these mods. I am over the 40K mile mark and been at stage 2 since about 8kmiles and drive it just ass hard as i ever have and trust it to make long trips with no problems. Trust me u will luv driving a wrx if u got one. I had to drivie my buddy’s GTP the other day and couldnt wait to give it back to him cuz it felt like i was driving a tank with no handling

:confused: :confused: :confused:

ok. there are no Nom-JDM 00-01 WRX’s

better?

+1

there definitely are pre 2002 wrx’s they just where never brought over to america and never will be as they are not permitted to be imported over here. (safety issues)

anyway i have a 2005 wrx and love it. they are great cars and awesome in the winter.

so i will chime in
i have an 02 wrx 5sp
have tbe, vf30, fuel rails, fmic, intake adaptor, sti injectors and cobb AP ST.
i have about 15k miles on setup and never had a problem or other than my own stupidity
have perrin springs and rear sway bar
so to me being a honda guy and moving over to this , i have been very pleased and have had the same reliabilty with it.

now as a side note the 04 and up trannys are alot better and can hold a decent bit of power