Mike's Sol

Stupid mustangs :lol

I should shed bolts more often

Back to work! :vlad

I’m not trying to be different in the way the Honda-tech people try. This is just my huge lego set, I have as much fun putting it together as I do playing with it when I’m done. No frunk, just a fuel cell and efficient cooling system. I will have plenty of space for a trunk in the back behind the strut towers.

Welding is going VERY slow. Lots of contamination that then needs to be cut out and redone. I’m not sure what the issue is, it could be anything really.

I’ll have to snap some pictures tomorrow, welding is going really slow, I had some issues with welds getting contaminated and it took a ton of work to ground them out then reweld.

Everything is finally fixed, I just have to add some filler to clean up the aesthetics on the frame inserts and then I’m on to sheet metal to tie everything in and seal it back up. Once that’s done I’m on to the engine mounts.

another area I have to look at is where I’ve cut out the spare tire well. I know what I want to do for the floor there, but I need to tie the subframe in the the car at a few more points to prevent it from twisting or bending.

is tis still the same car you were woking on all those years ago? or is this a new one?

yep, same since page one.

One of the more interesting challenges that lie ahead are the shifter/cables. Have you given them any thought yet or just taking things one step at a time?

I have thought about it and have a pretty simple plan of modifying the Hybrid Racing shifter for the cables to come out the back and then just custom order longer cables. It appears that this will be pretty simple since kits with longer cables have been made for the Elise and some kit cars.

I’m actually having a harder time trying to build the throttle cable the length I will need it. The few shops that sell complete custom setups don’t have the barrel ends that I need.

If I have time today I’ll look through my K20 MR2 picture folder and upload/post pics of the shifter cables (obviously the same concept).

It seems like you already have a plan but maybe it’ll give you tips of what to do or what not to do; I forget exactly what they look like as I haven’t gone through them in a while.

yea, that would be great. I’m sure it would help me visualize it all.

Good point here.

I can contact Rick at the company I had make the shifter cables for the Ultima and see if this is something he could make one off units for.

Other option I thought of which alot of KC guys do is use the shifter assembly from a Porsche Boxster and it’s related cables. It’s a completely self contained unit that’s easy to mount and has lots of adjustment. Cables are fairly long as well and can be modified easy.

Oh, send me the hubs ASAP. I need to measure offsets on them for the rear T-arms before I get all weld-happy here.

finally ordered them. I’ll have them to you by the end of the week. Thanks for the tip about polishing the tungsten. It really helped keep the arc from wondering as much.

I’ll try to get pictures tonight of what I welded so far. I’m going to have to borrow a mig next and do some hellen keller welds in places where I can’t see the tip of the tig.

when i did my rear engine del sol, i had my shifter cables made from monks hair and catheters.

fixedit

fixedit

touche

Here ya go, I have about 8 more that show the linkage but they’re not as close-up and are more MR2-specific (motor/tranny are in the bay), let me know if you think those could help, too:

interesting. I assumed I would have to loop mine around. Maybe I won’t need custom ones If I can do something similar to that.

on the welding front, I’ve been cleaning up the welds on top with a die grinder so that I can mate up another piece of sheet metal. I have some 14ga that will sit on top of my frame insert and cap either end of the original frame rail.

I’m having a friend come over with a tig to finish off the welds on the ends and bottom of my inserts. I simply couldn’t get the tig in there in a way that I could see what I was doing. We’ll probably just end up migging the rest of everything. In retrospect the tig wasn’t necessary.

Kinda tough to get pictures but you get the idea:

Coated the frame rails with the weldable primer again before I move forward:

used the plasma cutter to trim out the spare tire well

Finally found a spot weld cutter (a bit late to be honest) and tried it out:

It worked very well for $5

now all I have to do is trim either end of this piece and it will come right out allowing me to begin reinforcing the subframe:

What size spot weld cutter is that?? I need to get another one.

3/8 harbor freight special