Mike's Sol

pulled off that 16 gauge top to the subframe

borrowed the guy on the left from a friend

and a whole new pile of supplies.

Get. To. Work.

Do. Et. Naow.

work is ongoing I assure you.

Adam, I didn’t get the hubs in the mail to you yet. I will tomorrow for sure. Can you swap out the ARP studs from the old hubs on to the new ones for me before final assembly?

I think some of the contamination I’m seeing might be from Honda’s metal, is there anything I can do to reduce the porosity of the spots where I see it?

yes

reduce metal porosity? no. you can clean with acetone, or hit with phos-acid like PPG 579 or similar, then acetone to clean some shit up. Do a burn off in the area before striking and arc.

take some pictures and send them to my email or something. that sheetmetal is not that thick and I still think you’re pulling contaminates in from the backside of the pool/HAZ from too much heat.

Lurking :ninja

I have cleaned absolutely everything with a wire brush and acetone. I haven’t heard of anything like phos-acid or the ppg 579.

I’ll shoot you some pictures when I get welding today. I need to fill in some metal in a couple spots and I’m sure the issue will pop up again.

crx

With the rear T-arm Jigs just about complete I decided to get the major machine work out of the way first thing before getting into the sheet metal fab.

I forget what bearing races these were, Mike will correct as needed, but they were RWD drub brake type spider carriers from something like a CR-V or similar. Cut the entire outer race right off after pressing out the bearings. Leveled and located centric on the mill, “hubcentric” register bored to fit new disk type bearing assembly, then surfaced flat and parallel to the bolt face. This essentially locates and fixes the bearing assembly to the control arm using the old bearing assembly(spider) as a bearing support race/T-arm stiffener. I believe this is how others have done it, except far more accurate than others have done from the pics I have seen before :tongue

Very time consuming. finished one today in ~3hrs, doing the other side tomorrow.

Piktchars:

what, no jig saw? :rofl

Looks great adam. I can’t wait to see the results of everything we’ve talked about.

The lower spider part is from a 4wd Civic wagovan, the top is from a CRV.

Just read the full thread and the thread about the engine. It sucks that you have difficulty with buying and selling stuff but more importantly your getting stuff done. Great idea, and a very nice build. I will be back to see how things are going and looking at update. The car is sick, keep up the good work

Both machined and blasted new again. Going to start the T-arm construction tomorrow.

Mike I may have these wrapped up and ready to go some point next week. Get me d’em hubs naow!

Finally got the hubs out today :slight_smile:

good deal.

I will be goofing around with this tomorrow. want to try and get one of the arms tacked together.

Machined the hubcentric centering die and locating pin for the bearing support on the arms. This allows me to maintain correct bearing support location and offset on the jigs while welding the arms up.

wow… awesome man :thumbup

mmmmm lathe…strong work, looks awesome!

thank you.

Mike, CRV hubs arrived today. Issue #1 has come about.

ARP wheel studs from DS rear hubs do not fit the CRV hubs. stud register on the CRV hubs is too large for splines to bite(by about .09" lolz)

Options…1) see if ARP or similar extended studs exist that fit these hubs, 2) have custom studs made, or 3) have me machine new holes in CRV hubs to accept DS fitment studs.

You pick and let me know.

i pick all three