Milling a hub on a rim....would you do it?

I have had my e36 for a while now and I finally got around to redoing the suspension. So far I have replced the shocks with koni coilovers, upgraded most of the bushings to urithane and will finish the last 4 when I reinforce my rear subframe. Lately Ive been getting the itch to get different rims. Im going to be working on the braking system next and I need to run 17" rims at the very least to clear the new brakes. I want to keep the rims period correct so Ive been looking into “older” rims. I have always like the BMW style 5’s but I hate how most people run them.

These are the rims I am looking at, BMW style 5’s for those who dont know. They are 17x8 with an et 20. Most people who run these rims need to use a 205 tire on these to get the rims to fit. I HATE the stretched look.
HATE IT!!! A guy posted posted pics of his setup which I like a lot more

He is running 225/40 in front, 245/35 rears. He said he will be upgrading the tires soon and go with 225/45 front 245/40 rears.

He had to mill the hub of the rim 4mm to get them to clear his rear fenders with the 245’s on the back.

My question is this, how does milling 4mm off of the rims hub effect the rims strength? Could you drive hard on them or use them on the track afterwards?? Newman, you are one who I think would know the answer to something like this.

I doubt milling 4mm would take too much away from the strength of the wheels. There is a lot of metal there. You could also just have your fenders rolled properly so they clear. But that might screw up your paint.

if your in the area, i have a guy who does tool and die making, he could deffinatly shave the seat down a few mm… whats the max b4 you start making it hit on the inside?

4mm is the max. He even had to shave the ///M badge off the caliper for clearence after milling those 4mm off.