MIR Lapping - May 22, 2009

This lapping day will be held at Mosport International Raceway. Convertibles must have a roll bar that extends 2" above your helmet. There will be two groups of 26 cars - 30 minutes on track/30 minutes off. This event will include professional marshals, ambulance on-site, tow truck on-site and the entry fee is $325 for the day including lunch. Currently the event is 50% full. For more details go to:
Mosport May 22, 2009 or PM me.

This event is for drivers who have track experience and you must apply for this event. Drivers who have not driven Mosport before MUST sign up for a coach at an extra $100 fee. Experienced drivers who want to enhance their driving skills may also sign up for a coach.

This is an awesome 2.5 mile road course, great elevation changes, and the infamous off-camber turn two.
Talk to you soon,
Frank

Edit: Mar. 29 - Full

I would definitely suggest signing up for this day if you can. This track is a lot of fun and more technical that Watkins Glen in my opinion.

Turn 3, Quebec corner, you have to go through backwards while speaking French. Sorry, couldn’t resist a little jab at my old neighbors, the Quebecois.

I met Frank at the UBRF Toronto Motorsports Park track day. Real good guy and I would highly suggest going to a track day he’s organizing. This one is a little early in the year for me because I want to hit a slower track like Dunnville to see how my brake mods work.

damn 6-8 looks like a fun top speed run.

6-8 is uphill, but very long and straight. I hit about the same top speed in the Porsche there as I did coming out of the esses and into the bus stop at WGI. So 140ish mph…

About how much speed do you carry through 8?

pretty good speed throuh 8, i believe i just had a quick lift before the turn in point and ease back onto the throttle. that was me though, others probably carry even more speed than i do.

is mosport always that expensive???

No. Most PCA regions are around $310 for 2 days for students and Free to $190 for instructors.

Seems you’re paying a premium for a slightly more open track.

ah, gotcha.

Hmmm… maybe ill have the SM up here although Mosport does not look too fun for the little underpowered shit.

I have a 1.6 litre Nissan NX - I hit 100 mph coming into 8 - and could almost read a book on that particular section. I was a passenger in an AC Cobra replica that did about 155 mph into 8 - so you are busy looking behind as well as in front. The rest of the course is great for low powered cars. This is a fast course that cannot be underestimated. I wish I could say otherwise, but I’ve yet to be there when a car hasn’t left the track on a flatbed.

As to the question about price, I appreciate the question. This is an expensive track and the number of drivers/cars is capped. My events (five over the last three years) have always sold out and this one is well on the way, so like anything you get what you pay for. That includes over 3 hours of track time and, if you’ve signed up for a coach as a novice to the track, that coach will only have you as their novice focus for the day.

JayS, I may have a day at Mosport’s small track in August. I’ll let you know! Thanks for the kind words.

Any exceptions here for factory roll hoops? S2000 specifically.

Sorry, I cannot open that up. I realize it’s a frustration for convertible owner, but safety first. My events are not sanctioned by CASC, but follow most CASC regulations, and the 2" rule is one of them.

No problem. Most groups have a problem with it some do not. I had a blast at your driver development track event back in 07 in my old Evo. Would have been fun to tag along again.

Sounds good. I need to sort the brakes out on this GTO before I hit the big track at mosport. Based on some of the comments I’m guessing my car would be moving pretty good heading into 8-9 and I’d want to be 100% confident in the brakes. If rotors/pads/fluid don’t do it I’m going to look into removing the fogs and running some ducting through them to the brakes. Then smoke the covers and just slap them on for the street so it still looks good.

So its 425 to ride with and instructor? Is that in canadian? When do you think this will be full?

That’s Canadian but doesn’t include paypal fees, which are extra. The Canadian dollar is down so you’ll save close to 20 cents on the dollar! The exchange rate is back to normal (compared with last years rates).

There are four novice spots left. Last year they were all gone before the end of February. I had some advanced spots longer, but was sold out by the end of April. Hard to say what this year will bring, but so far it’s looking similar.
Check the website for all of the details www.frankewald.com

You’ve got time to get a bar!:redface:

it’s almost impossible to get a bar that will give you 2" above the helmet and allow you to put the top up on an S2000 unless you also get seats and low mount brackets.