mods and warranty

tried a couple searches and didnt turn anything up…

just wondering what will and what wont void a warranty on a new car, mod wise.

intake?
exhaust?
springs?

any info greatly appreciated

my buddy had a legacy gt turbo and had a intake and exaust, the motor went pop and when he took it in they gave him hell about replaceing it, luckily his father new someone, so yea if you mod it take the stuff off when taking it to the dealer

theres a real law about this. the dealer has to prove what you put on the car caused the problem you are having

Yeah, but their lawyers > your budget. If they don’t want to warranty something, good luck pressuring them into doing it.

What you can do varies among brands and even dealer to dealer. Get a written statement saying that they will not void your warranty for a mod (if they will agree to it) and you should be relatively safe.

keep the stock parts, incase something does go wrong. just swap it back to stock in that case then

depends on your dealer, i was told by my service manager that I should swap the parts out before service

on my last focus my service guy didnt care. i took it in with the mods and never had a problem. all up to your dealer.

I have also heard of that law and alot of foci drivers have brought it up and gotten warranty work because the issue wasnt related to the mods

All the spec v’s are loosing the second butter fly screws and they are dropping into the motor. It happened to my friends and he had a hell of a time getting the motor replaced because he had intake,header and exhaust but they replaced it anyways because alot of them were comming back with the same problem. Its an easy fix when u first get the car though. my dad fixed my other friends spec v. He got some lock tite and did it with taht and he has had no problems plus he turboed it.

Depends on the car/dealer, but basically don’t count on it.

X…

They dealer has to prove teh after market part caused the breakage, it’s covered under the Magnuson Moss act
http://www.granatellimotorsports.com/magnusonmoss.htm
ie: they can’t deny your coverage on your engne becasue you installed lowering springs, or they can deny you transmission failure becasue you put on a bigger throttle body.

Best idea is to just ask the dealer…get it in writing or become good friends with the service manager.

Odds are if they want to fah-q…they will

called them up and they said minor stuff wont void my warranty, but may void my extended once that kicks in. she said CAI and lowering springs would def be risky with the extended warranty especially if someone comes out to investigate anything… she was real cool on the phone though, she said keep the stock parts, and it may be a pain in the ass to swap everything, but then its def covered. goood to know.