warrenty question

would an intake void the warrenty on a new car?? how abou a custom turbo set up??

yep and yep. intake isnt o bacd cuz if u have to take it in, its usually not that hard to swap the aftermarket one back out for the OEM one pretty easy. a vustom turbo might not be as easy to ‘take out for a day while its being serviced.’

Moved thread to Gen Auto from Tech.

The way dealers/auto manufacturers are now, if it wasn’t that way from the factory, you risk voiding your warranty. I’ve seen dealers try to void warranty because you have aftermarket wheels on the car.

I thought aftermarket stuff only voids warranties if those parts fuck the car up. So…if they are installed properly and operate the way they are supposed to, it doesn’t void it. An intake might not prevent the dealer from working on the engine, but an aftermarket turbo would.

TECHNICLY SPEAKING … a dealership has to be able to prove that “aftermarket part ABC” cause “warranty part XYZ” to fail … if they cant prove that, they have to repair the car under warranty

but this isnt how it ever actualy works, a dealership will just tell you to GTFO, then it becomes your problem, and you have to fight to get your car repaired

if your getting a CAI, keep the stock stuff and swap it back on for warranty work

if your getting a turbo kit, dont ever expect to get anything on the engine / transmission / “drive whels” suspension … they will instantly claim the extra hp make “whatever” break … even if its a clogged injector … the revoke warranties for major assemblies … engine / tranny / body / interior or whatever “group” of parts they want

what he said :word:

Yep, exactamundo. People often confuse theory with reality. In theory, the burden of proof is on the manufacturer (represented by the dealer). But in reality, they decide and if you want to fight then it’s you v. GM, Honda, or whoever.

the intake will not void the warranty, and i forget where the link is but there is a fed. website that states that a dealership cannot void/refuse warranty in the case of a certain list of mods that they post…and an intake is on that list. if a dealership gives you a hard time you can print that shit out and hold them to the warranty or sue. my friend did that with his celica…they tried to refuse warranty work and he went in there with the print out and they were all like “oh…we are very sorry, that was our mistake, we will tkae care of this right away…anything else we can do for you??”

I love how you went from a simple bolt on to a super extreme mod…lol

check into the magnusson moss (sp?) warranty act

basically it’s a law that protects consumers from being ripped off on a warranty.

to summerize it, it says that the manufactuer or dealer must prove that the modification or parts you put on your car are the cause of the part breaking.

ex of bullshit- you have a cat back exhaust and your radiator goes. there is no way to show that the cat back exhaust was the cause of the rediator breaking, they can’t refuse you warrant work

on the other hand

if you install a cold air intake and drvie through a swamp and hydrolock your car, well then that is your fault and you will be screwed because the part did cause the problem

be careful what you put on your car. many dealerships will be ok with basic bolt ons, or if they are not ok with them, at least they are simple enoguht o swap back to stock

if you are even remotely concerned with warranty, DO NOT get a custom turbo kit

hope that helps

b4 u get a kia spectra5 look for a mazda protege5. same body styling but the mazda handles much better. also. i test drove a spectra5 and it was terrible to much body roll little accel wasnt worth it imo

i drove a spectra 5 the other day… and i was impressed for a kia…