Mold experts chime in;

My GF has some serious mold issues in her apt. The building is ~100 yrs old, and has probably 8-10 units. She lives on the first floor and I have seen the mold spots on the cieling and walls before but never thought much of it. A few weeks ago in her kitchen, the window right above her sink was leaking. But it wasn’t leaking from outside it was leaking from the floor above. A pipe must have cracked and broke and leaked through to her apt.

Well dood fixt the leak but after that I started paying attention and started to really notice how bad the mold issues is. The whole cieling above the kitchen is warped and I’d be willing to bet was wet at one point. The cieling in the living room as a yellowish tinge to it in certain parts. There is no exhaust fan in the bathroom, and the cieling constantly has yellow and black spots no matter how often she cleans them with bleach and soap solution. The wall in the hallway outside the bathroom looked as if it was bleeding boogers at one point. There was moisture that ran down the wall and was the same color and consistancy of a bloody sinus infection.

So here’s the deal. She has been living here almost a year and a half. Over the last year she has come down with a lot of strange ilnesses. Ex; Acute sinusitis, abdominal pain and gall bladder issues, now she has hightened liver enzymes and no one knows why or waht’s causing it. She is always tired even though she sleeps 9-11hrs a day.

I’m beginning to believe that if not all, many of her health concerns are related to this moild issue. I told her to GTFO, but i’m sure she will take her sweet ass time and be here atleast another few months.

My question is, what to do? The land lord is a fairly nice guy, and she doesn’t want to fuck him. She nor I know where to turn to report or even inform someone or some entity of a possible mold issue in her building. Any advice would be greatly appreciated?

• cliffs: GFs sick, apt is moldy, she doesn’t want to move, I insist she does, what to do about mold/apt/health issues?

I was just at the doctor today for my yearly checkup and she said that mold growing in leaf piles around this time of year can even make you sick, so I’m almost positive that has something to do with it.

Mold can get you really sick. It sounds like the building is in very poor shape interms of the mold situation. I don’t know what the cost of it is to get fixed but… I think she should move out…

Or as cheesy as it sounds wear one of those painters masks for the time being. I’m pretty sure they are fine enough to scrub out most of the spores

Couple ideas:

1. Clean off as much of the mold as you can, with a specific anti-mold spray
  2. Get an air filter of some sort
  3. Get a dehumidifier - if it’s drier, it’s less likely to grow

maybe these will help.

Problem with that is, she cleans it off the surface atleast once a week. What has me more worried is who knows what un-Godly ammounts of shit is growing in the walls behind the drywall and in the cieling. As I come to understand, that’s where the worst shit grows as it feeds on the celuous of the wood and paper proudcts.

i would gtfo of there asap. thats effin nasty, i couldn’t live in that

:word: I agree. I just need to get her ass moving on that idea.

Tell the landlord asap, make him fix that shit immediately and if he doesn’t then notify the health department.

My old place had this in the bathroom and he was a scumbag and just replaced the tile, 2 weeks later, yup black mold again.

Mold is a health risk and very expensive to contain/remove properly so I’d tell the landlord to let her out of her lease now and you’ll leave peacefully and then tell the health department (or whoever to get his ass in trouble) fucking slum lords.

the good hting is she has no lease and is on a month to month basis, but i gotta get up her ass to move cus aside fromt he mold she likes it there and its cheap.

I actually did a little research on this in the past how ever long I cared enough to look.

30-50% humidity is more than comfortable for humans… but with mold it can’t survive. Dehumidifier. Like tramadog has said. It should help out a lot!

Im getting one ASAP the place i moved into has black mold spots at some places and I swear i have been having terrible allergy and asthma problems since I moved in. I though it was from climate change at first but its been like 6 months!

dude, you dont fuck with black mold, shit can kill ya.

Mold is serious business. Get that taken care of professionally.

LOL someone put my mold situation in the what makes you frustrated thread. FUCK im calling the super tomorrow. Mo frapper is killing me!

I before E, except after C!

:word:

in all seriousness, don’t fuck around, get it taken care of ASAP

Mold can mess you up bad and even kill you. There are also many things that can cause raised enzyme levels in the liver. She popping pills perhaps?

Keep the mold areas as clean as possible. A dehumidifier will slow down mold and spore regeneration but you will still have mold grow in and behind the walls where it is still humid cool and dark. Id ask the landlord to do something about it but it will more than likely result in the place being torn apart thus forcing your girl to move anyway.

Ill try to get you the info but I believe there was a way to test and see what kind of mold you have in the house, and weather or not it’s toxic.

check this out in the mean time.

that place is moldy starting inside the walls an working its way out

getting a dehumidifier wont help if the pipes in the walls are springing leaks and causing the mold to grow there.

to put it in car terms, you might as well be trying to put tough up paint on a panel thats rusting out from the back side. ill just touch it up and it will stop …

GET
HER
THE
FUCK
OUT
OF
THE
APPARTMENT
BEFORE
HER
ORGANS
START
TO
FAIL

oh, and if you need me to, i can call the proper people to get the entire building emptied / condemed

i have no heart so its all good, hence why the mnager at a local store is now under investigation by the ethics team from HQ :slight_smile:

RJ have her close her legs and see what happens :slight_smile:

<3