Mon Valley boaters?

Where do you dock, and why there?

I was looking at staying below Elizabeth locks, but since they are ditching those in the next few years once the Charleroi locks are done, making one nice big pool all the way down to Kennywood, I am now looking up river from Elizabeth. I know there was discussion last year; just trying to see what people’s opinions are.

You have a poontoon ???

My wife’s uncle docks down in McKeesport near the Yough/Mon intersection. Seemed decent considering it’s McKeesport. Gated dock.

My father-in-law docks around Bunola. There’s a restaurant there, but I can’t remember the name of the place. If you want to check it out some time let me know, we could take a ride down.

Lee, I’m docked in Elizabeth right now. Breakers marina to be exact. We’ve been there for a few years. Almost zero traffic during weeknights and mild traffic on weekends. Nice and quiet, lots of open water for wakeboarding…and the gas marina is less than a 1/4 mile away (SoLow has a boat in that one), which also has a restaurant and a bar. Which marina were you looking at? I know we have room, price is good too. The guys who own it are super nice, installed 3 grills, even have a keg tap just off the slips!

Haven’t really looked at any… I see the one right next to the Elizabeth bridge, and I ride my bike past the two just up river, and of course the one over in Monongahela.
Just wondering why people pick the ones they do.
Just trying to find one that is dog-friendly and not full of douchebags trying to out-do each other with bigger, faster boats. Chill atmosphere with good mix of people is what I want.
My family always docked down the Ohio, so I’m not familiar with the pools up here.

Breakers is the second one I believe, if you count from the bridge…possibly the third one.

Breakers certainly has the exact laid back-ness you want. The nicest people there, no one give two shits about how bad ass your boat is. They love being on the water, and help out as much as they can. MOst of them have dogs as well, but I have yet to take my dog down there (too young last season). One of the owners has a small ski shop, and is a Tige dealer…he can get whatever you need for much better prices than anywhere I’ve tried.

Thanks man. I’ll have to check that out. They have shore power? How far is fuel?

They have power to the docks, and power to the deck and area where people hang out. Fuel is less than 1/4 mile up river…literally. You can see the fuel dock from where I’m sitting.

dyinwish- Do you mind sharing how much you pay yearly for the dock? We are finishing up purchasing a home in Port Vue right down from the Marina and were interested in getting a boat.

Sean:

IIRC the rate is between 400 and 500 yearly. My father supplied all the cabling needed to run new electrical to the entire complex so we have free docking for 5 years or something. I can get this year’s rates later today.