Motor Trend: Evo X vs. New Sti

i dont like either of the new cars. too heavy. too “refined” ie theyve lost the raw character of the older cars. they are following the typical plight of any car family.

Brian

That seems to be how the magazine racing goes every year between these two.

Ugghhh STi :tup:

In the case of the evo i agree… it is a gigantic sedan.

the sti is going more to the roots and point of what the sti is supposed to be, a hatchback rally car. it’s a bit bigger than it should have been but it is by no means a “wagon” as people are calling it.

I drove the 08 wrx hatch, it handled very well even on crappy small all-seasons. I can’t wait to see what the 08 sti feels like.

I agree that both of these cars are getting way ahead of themselves in terms of what they’re supposed to be. It seems that they are loosing their characteristics of being no-nonsense pound-the-pavement street racers. Now they have more bells and whistles than a merc s-class

This seems to happen with any successful performance car.
“Wow we have been really successful with this set up lets make it heavier”!

I dont know what either company is doing but I’m not impressed

True, subaru has been getting pounded by hatches in the wrc for a few years now. Maybe this is the design that will win some races for them.

I really think you people need to read before you spout of random bullshit… you all keep talking about how “these cars” are so much bigger and heavier.

the evo is heavier, and it is stupid.

the sti is the same fucking weight it was previous generation +/- a couple pounds… if i recall correctly, the 06/07 sti was 3350? this is 3351

^^ no you’re st00pid! :lol:

new evo looks > new sti

new sti performance > new evo

civic > all of the above

Maybe one generation but, all cars seem to get heavier over time that is all I am saying.
Maybe Subaru is lighter than they were tens years ago, I really don’t know.

lol im so confused, however im going with some sort of convoluted sarcasm, i can only summize that from the civic > all statement since, well, thats just redic. :lol:

thats pretty true… chalk it up to american assimilation i guess lol

all of the 2002+ imprezas are heavier than 90’s versions, however this decades designs are pretty similar

sorry my post was kind of attacking, everyone is bashing a car they’ve never seen or driven - its just getting old :stuck_out_tongue:

This is true, i have never said the evo wasn’t a performer but it would look better as a galant and not an evo. The sti is just going with the times. They have been getting spanked by hatches so make a hatch…

Yeah the bashing of cars not driven is getting old.
Both of these cars are quite impressive really.

they all are too heavy for my tastes… even the current STi and EVO. give me less than 3000lbs and ill be happy :slight_smile:

Brian

chino - first & last were sarcasm, middle 2 lines were not

ok i think i get it now

:stuck_out_tongue:

shit i just noticed i wrote “new evo sti” lol…editing…

Still, I wonder if adding weight at the rear is the right way to fix the weight balance issue that they have from hanging the engine out past the front axle.
Yes, a boxer four isn’t all that long, and it does get the weight down low, but it is still out past the front axle, which means you are going to have to work harder to get the weight distribution where it needs to be.

is this serious