motorsports are lame...

I am one of those people who likes cars but doesn’t really compete in any way. When I bought my Mustang everyone wanted me to go drag racing. 5 years later, I still haven’t done so. Then when I bought the WRX, people wanted me to go Auto X’ing. That I may try, but I don’t see it becoming a common occurance. I just don’t care about it that much. I know I am not the fastest or quickest so I don’t need to prove it.

heh… i drive my cars pretty hard on the street…

:word:…beaver run FTW

That’s exactly what I was thinking. Newman, you may not like AutoX or anything like that. But being on a track is a completely different experience. You’ll also be surprised how quickly you will drop that “I can learn on the street” attitude. You’ll be amazed at what you probably DONT know. Not trying to be an ass just pointing out what myself and pleanty of other’s have experienced when getting towards more organized events.

shhhhhhhhh…our secret

I enjoy competition. Along with meeting new people and hanging out while competing with family and friends. It does not have to have any internal combustion engine either. If you are a true tech. geek (and I am not saying your not) which I am, you will understand and respect everyone’s battle and defiance to for speed.

I would have thought you wanted to auto-x because you have a Honda now.

i drive pretty hard on a few roads when im alone.
ive always wanted to try auto-x but dont really know how to go about doing that.

I have to admit i do enjoy auto-x but rally-x is soooo much better, esp. when you have a car that you don’t care about breaking. But I will take track time over auto-x anyday of the week.

Go to the novice school, keep an eye open on their site you dont really need any equipment, they have loaner helmets.

driving the honda very well is eluding. me… i am still unsure of how hard i can push the car without it breaking… so i have been relatively safe with it…

So true, I learned more about riding in my first track day then I did in 30,000 miles on the street. You will also NEVER - EVER - EVER drive like you can on a track because even if you have one “good road” it’s only going to be a few sections here and there where a track is purpose built to challenge the driver and allow you to go balls out. I doubt you’re hitting 150mph before heading in to a turn anywhere on the street.

Track days > AutoX. Track days are more about having fun and driver improvement than competition anyway, it’s actually forbidden. :shrug: Sure it’s expensive, but it’s worth it (to me) and after you do your first real track day you’ll realize that you weren’t doing shit on the roads.

Although i have never has a trackday…I can only imagine it to be better than Auto-X…the good thinkg about Auto-X its relatively cheap…close…and u can still push ur car harder than u ever could on the street…but i def wanna do a Beaver Run or Glen track day if i could

A track day is becoming more and more of a thing I want to do when my car is finished (if ever). I can definitely see what you are talking about.

autoX days are good for low cost fun.

if you can afford it, it can’t hold a candle to a full blown track day.

People with that attitude just lead me to believe that they are scared of not being as good as they can continue to think they are while drifting around subdivisions.

It allows people to talk shit ( not saying you do ) but never have to actually back that up.

Driving like a tool around town is going to catch up with you sooner or later, motorsports provide a controlled risk enviroment to drive hard, instead of risking innocent peoples lives.

I am surprised you have this attitude specifically since you are an engineer. Most engineers get obsessed with getting that .2 seconds through properly preparing and building components of the car, and the car as a whole.

most experienced drivers will tell you that autocross will teach you more important things than any track day will.

Trackdays are a shitload of fun, but a lot of it is just following people, learning braking points, lines and techniques from the guy in front of you, etc.

Autocross teaches you to find the best line immediately, with no trial and error, no prep time… you have to know how your car is going to react, and find the best way to drive that course without haveing 30 laps (or even 5) to figure it out. Great Autocrossers usually make great track drivers, great track drivers rarely make great autocrossers…

I still feel the most cost effective and best “bang for your buck” way to learn how to really race… wheel to wheel, is with a spec Kart series such as the world formula.

eh, i understand your point, but maybe that is exactly why i don’t want to… When things get competitive i stop having fun. Even if i was just in competition with myself… i think it sucks the fun right out of it.

it reminds me of when i used to play paintball a few years ago… at first it was just about having some fun, but it evolved into a “sport” for me and stopped being fun and started being stressful…

Its always about remembering to keep the right attitude… I’ve worked for a lot of race teams where it became “not fun” very quickly. I still go to rallies with Bottoms because the team knows how to keep the right attitude about it, we are competitive, but we always have fun.

hard

oh, and it has just the right amount of throttle lift oversteer to get you around the cones

oh, i have found out about the lift oversteer, though i imagine it would be a bit more pronounced with some decent front tires…

Couldn’t agree with you more. I not only hate competition, but will perform very poorly at things I am good at when under the pressure to compete.

it sucks

-Cheater-