Mounting TV over fireplace with a brick facade?

Don’t think of it as high, think of it as ergonomically correct for reclining. :tup:

looks like you might not meet thx spec, lol…

http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-entertainment/home-theater/hdtv-set-up/

Vertical Placement
http://www.thx.com/files/2009/12/vertical-high-display-setup-400x300.jpg
Make sure each seating position in your home theater has a clear site line to the screen. Try not to place the screen too high on the wall – viewers should not have to look up more than 15°.

Your TV might have a max mounting angle. I think mine is 12° (Plasma). Something to think about, that would also help with glare if there are any windows or lamps infront of the TV.

lol crap now I’m going to measure it. Don’t show an engineer pesky specs!

I hate the tv over my parents mantle… hurts my neck to watch it…

something to think about

Hey Fry, if everyone told you the sky was blue, would you think that it might not be blue? lol

See here’s the thing: We’ve got it up there now and like it. I never watch it anyway. If I’m going to sit for an hour or two I’ll be reading a book, not watching TV. My doesn’t “watch” much TV either. She’s always got it on but usually is on her laptop too. We don’t really zone out staring at it for hours. So by having it at a slightly awkward height we can have one focal point to arrange furniture around instead of two, and it can be watched from the kitchen while cooking, doing dishes, etc.

The center of the TV at our old house was about 6’ up for years and we were fine. :shrug: This isn’t going to be much higher, and the room is much bigger.

I could careless about the viewing angles and stuff, I just think it ruins the awesome look of the fireplace

Sky color = fact. TV height = opinion.

---------- Post added at 04:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:29 PM ----------

Reasonable concern. But my right-brain is pretty much useless so I just trust my wife to make our place look good.

I’ll ask her again if she’s sure she wants it there, but that’s probably where it’s going.

It will be a good height for Guitar Hero.

X…

Yes! Someone who can see the upside!

I mounted my 50" above my fireplace and its pimp. I love a ‘high’ TV. Ill try to get some pics

I have an air hammer… We can take down that fire place in no time.
Then it’s up to you how many bricks you use when rebuilding.

my neck hurts just thinking about it

You might as well just mount it on the angled part of your ceiling…then you can lay on the floor and look up! Alright, I’m done with your thread now :slight_smile:

I would drill out the brick/masonry any epoxy threaded rod to attach the mount to. If you’re in to re doing the mantle you could have a hollow channel to pass your cabling through, personally I’d lower the mantle a bit if I was going to put a panel over the fireplace. For control I would go with a RF based system. The IR sensors still tend to get flooded with signal from the television and other ambient light in the room.

I never realized how much IR my plasma was throwing until I flew my little indoor heli into the living room and it just fell out of the sky. If it gets within about 10 feet of the TV while it’s on you get an instant crash. My TV has it’s own anti-aircraft defense system.

Is that why i was getting so much feedback thru a speaker last night?

speakers are not impacted by IR, LOL… magnets yes, light no.

We have had our TV (54" Panasonic) mounted above our fireplace for about a year now, no sore neck and no complaints from friends/relatives. I used a tilt mount from Monoprice which worked out awesome. I ran all the wires through the wall into the basement and mounted all components down there, using an RF remote…no IR repeater needed.

Don’t mind the scattered baby items, we have a 4 month old…lol

http://i51.tinypic.com/2nk5hki.jpg

And like you said about being in the kitchen and having a nice view, this shot is about 35 feet away standing at my island in the kitchen…perfect view

http://i53.tinypic.com/302x4q0.jpg