What is the best way to install a 50" TV over a fireplace?

A coworker has a 50" that his wife has mandated will be above the fireplace.

Its a gas insert fire place and there is currently a Stereo advantage installer trying to sell his wife a $400 HDMI cable that is “required”
(even though his 15’ is plenty long for the application)

I know that the shape of most fireplaces would allow the cabling along the side… I’m trying to convince him to run electrical for an outlet and run his own HDMi cable.

I can not imagine spending $600 to have someone hang a TV.

Any thoughts or problems known with this type install?

gonna be a PITA for sure. Usually, I would recommend putting the TV on the opposite wall of the fireplace.

Honestly, I have a TV over my fireplace at my house, and I don’t like it there.

I was figuring the fireplace can come out to make life easier, but I do not know what shape the area behind it is in or how much if any trim needs to be removed.

with insert fireplaces, the good thing is that there is no chimney. It is usually just some aluminum ducting that goes out to the side of the house. So, there should be plenty of room to run some wires.

A lot of people will run it all downstairs, and put an IR Repeater under the TV and put all of their A/V equipment in the basement. Running wires up and down is easier than running them side to side due to having to drill holes in the beams.

I believe his basement is unfinished, so it should not be that bad.
But, the repeater thing would make for a MUCH better looking install.

Uggh. It’s fine.

Step 1. Turn fireplace on.
Step 2. Tape a thermometer to the spot on the wall where the TV will be. (Or borrow an IR temp gun from my office.)
Step 3. Wait for the temp to reach steady state.
Step 4. Is temp below, say, 100*F? If so, mount TV like normal. Don’t use special cables or any bullshit like that.

Mine is mounted above my wood burning fireplace and temp is not an issue. If I used it frequently (the fireplace) I’d be worried about smoke, but that doesn’t matter on an NG fireplace.

Just double check the temp.

Completely agree.

If he doesn’t want to go INTO the wall; just use the nice surface trim they sell at lowes; works great for covering wires up.

I’ve got my Projection screen about 12" away from the front/top of my wood burning fireplace insert and it’s fine.

And a $400 HDMI cable is a joke, I just got a 33’ HDMI from Partsexpress for like $25 and it works/looks great. (HUGE improvement over component over the same distance)

Double sided tape.

His wife has refused to use the nice channeling.

That was his suggestion from the start.

I’m also trying to see if I can swing an install deal for $$ LOL
or beer.

I’ve hung 3 LCD’s in my house… the cost was less than $100 for all the supplies and wall mounts each.

Fireplace was a little tricky, required a few extra holes and some additional drilling.

PM me if you need any help. If you want I’ll do it for a round trip plane ticket and $100 bucks.

My tv is over a real fireplace…

I punched the holes in the drywall and ran teh wiring next to the fireplace and then into the basement where i have a RF remote to control everything, its seemless

Mount was ~ 50 bux… and all the wiring and etc was ~ 100 with 200 feet of speaker wire

www.monoprice.com

I only have pics of before i put the mantle back up… and from my iphone but you get the idea

http://www.viper966.com/tv/notv.jpg
http://www.viper966.com/tv/tv1.jpg
http://www.viper966.com/tv/tv2.jpg

All has been lost.

His wife OVER PAYED.
I’m guessing it to be about a $700-$800 install.

I’ll try and get details next week.

I never understood mounting a TV that high…

This guy’s wife sounds like a bitch

OUCH… wifey didn’t overpay… he did… wifey just made the decision for him…

Meh… never met her…
Well not really… the one time I saw here, we were unloading his 1st motorcycle (ninja 250) from my inlaws pick up truck. I’m not sure she was happy at the time.

edit: true. he paid, but he is looking forward to rubbing it in for at least a year.

I love the use of the word “MANDATED” in the original post :rofl:

She deserved to pay that much if she isn’t smart enough to do research first or actually be patient enough to wait for the correct answers prior to being a retard and wasting her husbands money. To top it off, they probably bought a $900 VIZIO TV and paid more to mount it than the TV cost.

nope, he did a fair amount of research.
Its a samsung i believe, and he got a “free” blue ray player.

So someone talked him into the last generation 550 series and tossed in a $150 bluray player to get it out of stock? :lol:

Or they sold him on the 850 that you can get for $1900 online but he paid $2800 for it and they gave the “free” BluRay to him as a “gift?”

Sorry, just being a dick… LOL

All I know is that he went in with model numbers and pricing info.
Beyond that, I have no clue.