muddy frothy oil FTL

yeah, american made gm engines are the bomb. woot

theres nothing sweeter than doing a little tune up; checking the pcv and finding muddy/frothy oil. take off the valve cover, no froth, but i know oil shouldnt be brown.

oh, and look theres water coming out between the head and block.

i almost forgot… this is a common problem. pretty fuct up common problem if you ask this pissed off mod.

i wonder if these gm motors were designed by the dsm guys… hrm

what motor … ill tell ya whats really wrong

so ur car is fucked up?

in before he says 3.1 or 2.4 :-p

you will?

gee thanks

its the head gasket, its a common saab ecocrap engine issue. they used shitty head bolts that like to loosen up.

not sure. with any luck i caught it early enough that it didnt kill anything.
the cams look fine… but i still have to drop the pan.

No need to be rude … I thought you were gonna tell me a common problem with GM motors … not the SAAB ecotrash … must be saab only cause it’s not normal in the vagaliers,sunflowers …etc … they fixed that problem when they made the switch from the 2.2

yeah, im sorry… i owe you a beer.

just a little on edge. i really didnt need this while i am in the middle of remodeling my kitchen.
at least tax season is coming soon.

You’ve got your warranty still, right? Put Don to work!!

thought You had the baller warranty?

also, I thought You were aware of this problem when You bought it last year? IIRC - You had the dealer’s tech re-torque em when You bought it?

i found out about the issue when i got the car and “fixed” it just after.

after being out there for a bit, and taking shit apart heres what i found:

.froth in the PCV lines, and a little about 1/2 way up the dip stick

.the oil in the head looks a little muddy, but i cant tell if its spent oil muddy or maybe i caught it early enough and theres not a lot of water in it muddy.
there is no oil spots or sign of oil in the coolant res

.there was no pressure on the coolant (cold)… this really confuses me. there should have been air in the cooling system if the hg was spent

.pulled off the arm from the breather to the turbo inlet, and there was water in it, but it looked more like condensation

i have been reading on the saab forums, and some people have had an issue with a gasket just before the oil pump taking a shit. it ends up sucking in air and frothing. also, the PCV on the car was clogged and more or less fuct.

anywho, im going to drop the pan tomorrow and take a look see.

im wondering if may its from a shitty oil change (yeah i went and had it done a couple months back), change in temp, and that i dont drive more than a handful of miles a day. i get to work sometimes before the engine is even heated up. condensation not burning off? there doesnt seem to be any coolant missing :gotme:

my friends mom blew her headgasket in her 2 year old saab within 30k.

:tup:

^LOL

my 155k vw runs strong

You know my position on it. Good luck

if this car had a vr6 in it, it would be just as bad as my was… instead its worse :slight_smile:

don, if that turns out to be the case, and i am thinking that and crappy oil are probably the issue… i can probably bang that out for you on sunday if you want to stop by. well all but the 1 piece i dont have. i think we are going to put off doing the countertops until next weekend just incase. i will let you know tomorrow afternoon.

That sucks, I am in the middle of putting a head gasket on a 98 accord EX I just brought,and I just did the upper and lower intake gaskets on a 1997 f150 4.2l v6, I got the truck for $300 and put a $100 into it and it now runs like a champ. One good thing is this winter is really mild so I have been able to work outside on my cars.

no doubt. i was out there in a t-shirt. i <3 this winter

could be condensation. The oil in my catch can gets all brownish in the winter with the cold weather / warm weather.

Not sure if that helps or not.

Yeah, the 2000+ motors really need oil changes…
trionic 7 = sludge machine
Not a good car for women.

it just reinforces it… im thinking the same thing, but there was just more foam than i am used to seeing. my previous cars werent nearly this bad.

That sucks ass. Let me know the job is, if its not terrible i may preemptively do mine with a new gasket and arp head studs.

Mine has actually been losing coolant when I drive it hard for extended periods of time and I was worried about the hg, but the other day I saw a small puddle under the car, so I think one of the turbo coolant lines has a pinhole that pisses when its under a lot of pressure. Somewhat of a relief. Still haven’t gotten in there to see which one it is and replace it.

Saabs are always… entertaining.