Music.

Hey, well I saw a post on ziptied about music and it got me thinking: “what kind of music does SON listen to?”

So have at it! What’s your music of choice?

I listen to about every genre of music, but my love is Jungle/Drum n Bass. I’ve been spinning it for a few years now, playing at bars and parties and what not. I also produce under the same moniker I spin with, Dj Versa, with my friend (Vice), hence Vice Versa. Canada has a huge jungle scene so it caters nicely.

Some of my favourites:

Hip-Hop: Aesop Rock, Jedi Mind Tricks, The Pharcyde, Immortal Technique, Royce 5’9", Brother Ali, Canibus, Louis Logic, Ugly Duckling, some Nas, etc.

Rock/Alternative: Dave Matthews Band, Incubus, Pearl Jam, Sonic Youth, Third Eye Blind, Tool, Soulfly, Metallica, Liquid Tension Experiment, Pantera, Dream Theater, Buckethead, a whole buncha other solo guitarists, Galla, etc.

Punk/Ska/Hardcore: Death by Stereo, Thrice, Bane, Kid Dynamite, Less Than Jake, Boy Sets Fire, Snot, Converge, Propaghandi, AFI, Catch 22, MU330, The Misfits, Bad Religion, Skankin’ Pickle, Mustard Plug, Dead Kennedys, etc.

A whole buncha random Reggae/Dancehall.

Some Euro, Trance.

JAZZ I love.

(I play drums, guitar, and bass)

I could go on forever.

Favorite band: 311

Some others I like:

Pink Floyd, Metallica, Led Zepplin, Neil Young, Goldfinger, Orbital, 808 State, Rage Against the Machine, Audio Slave, Beastie Boys…

Jazz too, pretty much anything EXCEPT country.

I love music, as long as it’s a high quality recording, I’ll enjoy it through my Linn’s.

hendrix, ac/dc, mos def, beastie boys, dizzee rascal, rza, nirvana…

Thats cool that your into Jungle/drum and bass, I used to host Jungle parties like 5yrs ago, I used to have Marcus, DJ dripp, Mystical,Caddy cad, and a few up and coming guys as well.

Now I mainly listen to synth pop/EBM, 80’s and of course alot of differnt Rave type music jungle/drum & bass being one of the genre’s in that category.

i tend to like songs and artists rather than genres.

love classic rock bands, beatles, zeppelin, ccr, g&r

i do like rap too tho, NAS, dre, snoop, eminem, wutang

i like rap when im driving for some reason, at home on the computer i listen to rock mostly. dont really know why. makes me feel like a gangsta’ lol

rage, beasties, crystal method

i would have never thought it before but after being at the casby’s this year i have to say that i really enjoyed Billy Talent and would love to see them again… i was very very impressed.

Nirvana, soundgarden, pearl jam, oasis, Jimmy eat world (JEW) lol, MGB, U2, metallica…the list goes on…
I used to like rap a lot more, but ive grown tired of it.

Hip Hop, R&B, Reggae, Rock/Alternative, Punk, mostly everything except classical, country, and gino beats lol

good choices bing :slight_smile:

Bands i’m listening to at the moment that I can’t get out of CD player.

36 Crazyfists
Thrice
System of a Down ( I can’t wait fot the new album)

I like mainly metal and rock. Not frigging teeny rock

Andrew.

I’m a jungle/drum’n’bass head. It’s pratically all I listen to. I appreciate and enjoy other music and I’ll listen to it too… but dnb is #1 for me.

I like punk and ska, and rock to.

Things like
taking back sunday
Thrice
Finch.
Jimmy eat world
NFG.
Brand new.
Thursday
Billy talent.
Lincon park
outcast

Shit like that, Im pretty open to all types of music, there is some classical i like a few opra songs that arnt bad
meh.

my main genre is hardcore/screamo:

taking back sunday
funeral for a friend
atreyu
underoath
the used
my chemical romance
a static lullaby
thrice
brand new
thursday
poison the well
brazil
desaparacidos
head automatica
saosin
silverstein
from first to last
coheed and cambria
alexisonfire
hopesfall
story of the year
planes mistaken for stars
death cab for cutie
emery
from autumn to ashes
moneen
fear before the march of flames
eighteen visions
dillinger escape plan
boys night out
say anything
matchbook romance
everytime i die
the bled
etc.

i also enjoy some more mainstream stuff, like rage, incubus, OLP, the killers, modest mouse, death from above, the streets

and i enjoy some very limited underground hip-hop, like Jedi Mind Tricks, Atmosphere, Aesop Rock, OGC, Nas, Dead Prez etc.

and of course, the stuff i was raised on: Eagles, Paul McCartney and Wings, Rush, ACDC, Zeppelin, Simon and Garfunkel etc.

and also some very limited techno/electronica like Tiesto, Oakenfold, Massive Attack, Prodigy etc.

Got any mixes of your Jungle sets? Do any ragga?

Just came back from the UK and checked out the great scene there. Bought a few CD’s as well, of Ellis Dee, Nicky Blackmarket, DJ Hype.

I am mainly into rap. Nas, Ras Kass, Xzibit, Game and Jadakiss. But I also love DNB! SHY FX!!! Nuttah, how was the scene over there??? any chance of gettin ya to rip those cd’s??? :smiley:

The Datsuns own ALL!
The Hives
Nirvana
Nine Inch Nails
Matthew Good Band
Crystal Method
Underworld
CCR
The Kinks
The Network

Bah too many to list…
But check out the Datsuns if you like REAL rock music.

I do have a few mixtapes lying around waiting to be turned into CD. I’ll get back to you once they’re MP3s or whatever.

I don’t usually spin ragga just because I don’t normally buy any and i’ve only got a couple tunes in my crate.

I go to Jungle parties/Raves once in a while. I’ve seen Nicky Blackmarket here in Toronto, so sick. One of my high school teacher’s is actually a producer with records pressed and distributed (True Crime). His best friend is Illfingas. So he can get records pressed for me when I’m ready to put some stuff out.

Some producers I like:
Ed Rush & Optical, Dj Fresh, Un-cut, Dj Marky/XRS Land/Stamina MC, Bad Company, Technical Itch, the entire Ram Records family, Tali, Roni Size, High Contrast, Pendulum (My favourite right now), Zinc, Trouble On Vinyl, DKay, Moving Fusion, Full Cycle, etc. etc. etc.

If you wanna here some sets and see where the scene is at right now, Drum & Bass Arena has everything: http://www.breakbeat.co.uk/

i mainly listen to reggae and soca. once in a while i will listen to some hip hop/rap, But rescently ive been listening to a lot of rock/alternative. i suppose there are some country songs that are allright, but its nothing that i would continuously listen to. since im european it is natural for me to like dance…Oldies such as Boney M, Abba etc. And cant forget the soft jazz, which i use only in cartain situations… :wink:

Somehow for a lot of you, I could tell exactly what you listen to. :wink:

I like making my own music more.

I write anything from nature instrumentals to the heaviest of rap beats, and yes, I rap, that’s where my nickname comes into play. The guy I usually rap with is currently in jail…no i’m not a bad guy or a “thug” at all, I just love doing it. Him and I are very different, but have managed to be friends a long time.

I also drum for a rock band with my bro, after 2 so-so producers, hopefully we’ll end up with someone good and get something WE like out (they try to change it up etc).

When i’m in the 240, I usually end up listening to my own stuff to enjoy and critique it.

That said, I like Green Day, Billy Talent, Matt Good for rock and Kool G. Rap/B.I.G./Eightball & MJG stuff for rap…not much else.

I do have a few mixtapes lying around waiting to be turned into CD. I’ll get back to you once they’re MP3s or whatever.

I don’t usually spin ragga just because I don’t normally buy any and i’ve only got a couple tunes in my crate.

I go to Jungle parties/Raves once in a while. I’ve seen Nicky Blackmarket here in Toronto, so sick. One of my high school teacher’s is actually a producer with records pressed and distributed (True Crime). His best friend is Illfingas. So he can get records pressed for me when I’m ready to put some stuff out.

Some producers I like:
Ed Rush & Optical, Dj Fresh, Un-cut, Dj Marky/XRS Land/Stamina MC, Bad Company, Technical Itch, the entire Ram Records family, Tali, Roni Size, High Contrast, Pendulum (My favourite right now), Zinc, Trouble On Vinyl, DKay, Moving Fusion, Full Cycle, etc. etc. etc.

If you wanna here some sets and see where the scene is at right now, Drum & Bass Arena has everything: http://www.breakbeat.co.uk/[/quote]

Yeah let me know when you have converted to MP3s. Not that much into the new DnB. Too dark and industrial for me. I like the ragga touch.
Illfingas was pretty good, along with the other T.O locals like Marcus, Capital J and the MC Friendly Man.

Used to be acquainted with Ganja Smile Productions, and they threw alot of good parties. Dunno what they are up to now.

Have been a member of Drum and Bass Arena since 1998. :wink: I’m ol’ skool mang.

The Ginos
The Glowsticking Monkeys
The Batty Boy Playa’s
The Bella Surpemo’s

and sometimes (depending on my mood)

other stuff.