Mustang guys with fat rear wheel/tire combos

I’m toying with the idea of having my wheels widened and was hoping there may be someone local who has picked up a set of fat rear wheels and tires that would be willing to let me bolt onto my car. No need to drive on it as I’m looking to see how wide I can fit. I know suspension travel will account for clearance issues but this is more of a quick test. I run SN95 5 lug axles which are 3/4" longer than stock and with my current 17x8.5 245/45/17 wheel/tire combo I have nearly 2" of room inboard. I have no idea if this will even work…but it’s a start.

i know someone that used to have almost the exact same car as you…i am pretty sure he stuffed 275s on the back. only time they were a problems is when there was 4 people in the car and he took a turn kinda quick they would rub. otherwise they never seemed to be an issue.

I have 275/40/17 on a 17x9 wheel and 315/35/17 on a 17x10.5 wheel

I once ran a 275/40/17 on my wheels but the bulge created by that tire rubbed to wheel well slightly. If I had a wider wheel I could easily stuff a 275…I was hoping to stuff more like a 295 or even a 315:eek:…but that may be pushing it.

Ooooo!!! Do you know the offests on those??? Any chance you’d be willing to lend a wheel for some fitment testing? Perhaps I could offer a lunch or beer in return?

i kno the scenario i mentioned was using stock “pony” rims, if that helps. i have no idea what the stock offset would be though.

Mike, would it kill you to type out full words?

bad habit…im working on that

mmmmmm 315’s :slight_smile:

damn mustang guys

275/40 … that the biggist you can go before doing wheelwell surgery

He’s right, believe it or not I actually had to do wheelwell surgery to fit my 275’s out back. I’d love to stick some 295 or 315’s back there but I know it’s not gonna work without some major work to the rearend. Are you going for a look, or are you trying to get better traction?

Both looks and traction. I’ve been running around on some 245/45/17 Nittos DR’s and I can’t stand them. I only got about 8,000 miles out of the compared to the 25,000 that I got out of my 275’s I once had. I also cut about the same 60’ with the 275 street tires as I do with the Nittos! However, if I couls fit something wide I’d reconsider a drag radial…

I have rolled my fenders a bit, but could still go more. If I can keep the same ‘bulge’ that I get with the 8.5"/245 combo with wider wheel/tire I’ll be okay…as long as I’m not interfering with the frame/suspension/exhaust. Going inward say 1.5"-2" with wheel width looks doable…so if I tracked down a 10.5" wide wheel with a fat tire I could check for sure.

And I know for a fact that guys have gotten away with wider than 275’s on Fox’s…a quick search on corral.net has pics of peoples set-ups. 315…that I am doubting but I still want to try it.

I cut a 1.60 60ft on my 275/40 drag radial, so I know it’s definitely a good traction tire. It really never spins unless the ground is cold, or I’m really boosting it in 1st gear. And look wise, our LX’s look great with a 275 back there, it’s the GT’s ground effects that hide the width and look of a 275.

Badass! Some proof in here…specifically page 3 at the top is a Fox with 17x10.5 315/35/17 Nitto DR set up that fits great.

I can’t wait to have my wheels widened and run 315’s:)

Nice. Now turbo that thing already. :stuck_out_tongue:

House/garage mods>car mods:)