My 1996 KA-T

Hey NECC, my names John and i’ve been to a few of your monthly meetings before but have never signed up until the dyno days last weekend. For those of you who were there you probably saw my car which has lots of potential but even more problems. Here’s the setup:

Engine:
1996 KA24DE-T w/ stock internals
JWT ECU
93 Cobra MAF
50# injectors in a JWT fuel rail
300zx fuel pump
T3/T4 BB 50 trim .63 A/R stg III wheel
FMIC (turbonetics)
10 psi of boost

Thats the important stuff, i’ll post a more complete setup w/ pictures later.

Now onto the problems, i ran the car on the dyno and it was knocking pretty bad around the 3000 - 4000 range and was also getting WAY too much fuel. The JWT ECU was supposed to be calibrated for the injectors/MAF setup but it was much too conservative with the fuel and probably not enough with the timing. I haven’t checked my base timing yet (next thing i do) but i never touched it so i’m guessing it is still in the 18 -20 degree range. From 4000-redline the AFR’s were dipping below the 10’s and well into the 9’s which is ridiculous for a “custom” tune. The injectors were never flow tested so it is possible that they could be flowing more than they are rated for. The car has potential though putting out 270ish ft/lbs of torque at 4000 rpm and 10 psi of boost.

Since the dyno the only thing i’ve changed is the plugs which are now one heat range colder (BKR7ES-11) and gapped to 0.028.

I’ll try to post the dyno chart up for you guys as soon as i figure out how.

hey john, its rob, come to bud on friday! i got work off so im goin 4 sure unless it rains.

JWT has alway been known to run on the rich side and is usually pretty conservative. Get a SAFC and lean that thing out a little.

That is probably what i’m going to do. Only other option i can think of is send it back to JWT with the dyno curve for a retune but right now i don’t have much faith that they’d do a good job the second time. Fulblown seems like they have a pretty good deal goin on right now with them too … 420 w/ no tax for students. Anyone have a used unit they’d like to give to get rid of ?

Check the beyond.ca marketplace. I always see them f/s on there.

Don’t bother with JWT anymore. They don’t do “custom” well or quickly. I would trust them if they had gotten reasonably close the first time. But you got whatever everybody else gets. A pig rich map. If you’re serious. www.rs-enthalpy.com

:pics:

There is always ENTHALPY :smiley: He is supposed to be the best but he doesnt suport cobra mafs. http://www.rs-enthalpy.com/

Who needs enthalpy when u have this… http://bikirom.com/ :finga: