My 383 Stealth Ram motor is running

Here is the first startup idle. Rough base tune, but its not a bad tune to start with. IDLE rpm is higher than suppose to be, it needs work. Sounds smoother than it really was. Its erratic bouncing between 950-1100 rpms… kinda rough.

Its loud and mean as fock, way too much sound for me i gotta tone it down

4inch single exhaust, with dynatech split flow muffler, similar to borla XR-1 oval.

My 383 is 11: 1 with AFR 195 eliminator heads with a custom grind 230/245 .603/.613 109+1 cam. Its big

http://media.putfile.com/383-Stealth-Ram-Startup

lol fuck that sounds mean gj for finally getting it to run

Now for the list of problems

First leaked tranny fluid from the cooler in the radiator…fixed that it was a loose connection…i’ll keep an eye on it tho

Leaks oil like a spout… bad seal onthe china wall…manifold has to come off tomorrow or whenever i get a chance…not the end of the world tho

Hood does not clear the manifold/TB… i cut out all the hood bracing i could and it hits the TB still. I need a new hood. It will shut but it bows out alittle…not good. chevy show at carlisle this upcoming weekend i think so i’ll be there with cash in hand

Stock oil dipstick doesnt reach bottom of pan so i have no idea how much oil i have in there

exhaust is too loud :slight_smile: haha

other than that, so far so good

sounds sweet!
Can’t wait to see it run down PRP.
Are the members of thirdgen.org pissing themselves?

not yet lol… give it time i have some ppl on there very interested in my build progress…

Once i get some numbers on this car (dyno/ET’s) then we’ll see the reaction. I have high expectations for this car…it should be very quick

Sounds good! BRE cam - is that Bauer Racing Engines?

Luckily I filled my Canton pan while the engine was out and marked my dipstick then, otherwise I would have been in the same boat as you!

i didnt even think to do that! i have no idea what i’m gonna do for a dipstick now but oh well, i’ll figure something out.

And yes, BRE = bauer racing. Got one of his custom grinds…its a pretty sweet grind, we’ll see how it does in this motor. basically i’m something like LE2.5 in the LT1 world. I dont think its quite LE3 but it should be more than LE2

Sounds really good Justin!
Do you have a windage tray? if so your dipstick is probably hitting it and sliding on top. Pan depth should not change oil level, only capacity…
So any stock dipstick for that block should work…
I had problems on 2 different motors with windage tray, did not think on either to test fit first.

yep got a windage tray and was thinking that was causing the tube not to lay down in there.

also have oil baffles…its a road race pan so there are 3 chambers in the base of the pan to keep oil where it needs to be, by the pump :slight_smile:

IF it is the windage tray, i’m not gonna pull the motor to get the pan off and replace it, thats just dumb. I probly could slide it out the bottom of the car but i dont know. either way i’ll try to figure somethign out about the dipstick…else i dont know my oil level

Anyway, 87TA i’ll probly be hittin you up for some tuning tips. I’ve read alot of articles and have an idea what i need to do but i’m sure i could use some advice. being 78 degrees of overlap i’m sure my 02 sensor is goin nuts… it did show 160 BLM at idle after awhile. Probly rich idle but the overlap is making the sensor think its lean… so i should play with my 02 milivolt values–the rich/lean offsets i think

congrats man!

Lookin and soundin good, congrats! :slight_smile:

took it for a 20 mile drive or w/e it was… doin my break in and alittle mileage afterwards

car feels absolutely insane. loads of torque and i didnt even take it past 50% throttle or so. car rips better at 50% throttle than the old car did at WOT

Amazing. Need to do some work on the exhaust to quiet it up and tuck it up. As low as it is it only scraped a few spots on some uneven back roads. I put the exhaust to the test and it worked well considering the slicks skinnies and the bumpy roads. I"m happy with the layout it just needs abit more clearancing and a quieter exhaust :slight_smile:

i made a few idle speed setting changes and once it was hot and in closed loop it feels like its happy, just alittle searchin for idle but i feel confident it will idle smooth once i figure out the little problems. For a decent sized cam i’m very very happy with the manners on the street. WOW

why do you want it QUIETER?!?!

we didn’t give you that mullet rockin smiley on lsxpp for no reason

it sounds like a open header race car for the most part except a tad quieter at idle… i cant deal with that

interior noise is insane between 1200-2500 rpms. I got bad hearing in my right ear as it is, i dont wanna lose any more :slight_smile:

The tone sounds awesome from the outside tho :slight_smile:

lol it cant be that bad…bring it out 22 toward latrobe and ill give you my opinion on how loud it is =)

come to my house this weekend and i’ll show you :slight_smile: its pretty loud

ha alright maybe ill take you up on that like on sunday

depending on what goes down this weekend i may have a different muffler on the car so it may be quieter…we’ll see

ha let me know

So you have the split flow? I was really thinking of getting one for mine!
It it really that loud though? Was looking for something a little better flowing, though the flowmaster only cost about 1.5/10s, and that splitflow seemed like the ticket, but can’t deal with all that noise though.