My bottom smells funny

Some of you know we are scheduled to move into out new home this month (if all goes according to plan) and there is an issue I’ve known about since looking at the house for the first time. It’s not a huge problem, but one I’d like to solve.

Apparently, the previous owner had a thing about insects and had a habit of dropping “bug bombs” or similar types of products into the crawl space below my first floor recreation area. She has passed on some years ago but the family had noticed the problem of a strong “odor” in that room and decided to try to alleviate it. Their solution was to remove the carpeting and access the crawl space through the floor. They removed some sheets of plywood, removed all the crushed stone and Kilz primed the block walls, floor joists, bottom of the subfloor, copper, PVC piping, pretty much everything. They replaced all the removed stone with new.

Needless to say, there is still a pretty noticeable odor when you walk in the door. I plan on creating a couple ventilation points in the spring and once the subfloor is permanently set and finish floor is applied, I think it will lessen the problem. Wondering if anyone has ever had an odor problem (non-personal) and found a product that works well to absorb or “mask” odors. Thanks.

what kind of odor? the bug bomb smell? Zinser is better at sealing than Killz IMO. I’ve had to deal with some shit before in previous dwellings…

I was just using the name of the product for reference. Not sure which one they actually used. I can’t describe it but I would say a sort of old chemical smell. I’ve never used a bug bomb so I have no frame of reference. Doesn’t smell anything like sewer, decomposing bodies, etc. You actually get used to it after a few minutes but that’s not the route I’d like to go, especially inviting over family and friends.

Do burnouts with the windows and doors open then shut them. House smells like burnt rubber, perfect.

Are you sure it is coming up from below and isn’t just on all the walls and ceiling?

Positive.

It’s really weird that after all this time and cleanup that the smell is still there if it’s really from just bug bombs. A bug fogger is designed to be released in living spaces and dissipate on it’s own quite quickly. Makes me wonder if something more serious was spilled down there, especially with the steps that the family went through to remediate it.

Try an ozone generator for a few days

The only paint that is an odor barrier is shellac based primer, like BIN from Zinsser. You have to do 2 coats of it for it to work also.

spray vinegar on everything

+1

I use bug foggers in my crawlspace and living area twice a year, they leave ZERO odor.

theres no ventilation of the crawlspace? strange.

actually, sealed crawlspaces have a lot of benefits if sealed correctly.

edit: actually, even a half-assed sealed crawlspace can be efficient if you add a dehumidifier that drains out of the space.

I’m just going by second hand accounts of what she did. Could’ve been some kind of other product (pellets, powders, etc.) but there’s no way to be sure.

This guy knows what he’s on about. :tup:

I’ve dropped bug bombs in the past and had residual smell from one of them. However, it dissipated after 2-3 days or so, it was a humid week.

Yeah, she passed away years ago and I open everything up when I’m there to air it out. It helps, but I’m hoping closing up the floor and ventilation may help.

Is the Crawl Space vented to the outside, or is it connected to the basement? If neither, then that is the first thing that would need to be fixed. The Crawl space either needs to be able to equalize and vent with the outside for air exchange, or it needs to be able to exchange air with the inside conditioned space.

I do agree that if you are still getting a chemical smell, that something else may be up that needs to be looked at.

You may want to consider installing a vapor barrier on the floor as a start.

I recommend vapor barrier and sealing the vents. If moisture and mold is a problem once that’s done, put a dehumidifier in to keep it dry.

There’s no basement. Garage at front, then crawl space behind it. Very dry and yes it has a vapor barrier. I’m in agreement with providing ventilation. Harder in winter as there’s plumbing down there.

Sounds like you need a shitload of baking soda