My "cahr killah", DSR class racer

Just needed a catchy title. :tong

Copied from Rspeed for your enjoyment, maybe.

As most know I’m progressing through a one-off build of a Porsche 962 here at the shop and am still going head strong at that. Having ~4 years into development I decided I needed a small break/detour from the work to do a little fun project. Thus my little thread here.

I got talking with Jesse Clark a few months back about old times and shifter carts. The wheels in my brain started turning soon after and I went to work designing a little toy cart to f**k around on here at the shop. The project was initially slated to be small, your typical ~100lb single layer chassis, live axle, and was going to be powered by an 80-125cc Lifan engine. Me not being able to do things the weak way, started designing and redesigning as the days and nights went on. Cart plans grew, things got bigger and more elaborate, engine parameters grew. Over the course of 2-3 weeks this cart went from being a proposed 100lb, 25hp dart to a ~450lb 52hp land missile. I went out and purchased a 2004 Kawasaki Ninja EX500 drivetrain that I intended to use as the power plant. Then with some talks to JVG and Jon T, I catch wind of an even better powerplant available…

…I recently purchased a local riders downed bike…namely a 2005 Kawasaki 636. 130HP of 16K rpm tire spinning fun couple to a sequential six speed…it had my name written all over it and for the price asked it was a steal in my books. to cope with the near doubled expected power output I had to jump back into Solidoworks and redesign the whole shebang to handle it. The new chassis has gone from a simple design of single layer 1" 4130 tube, to a full out multi point full suspension piece of art. I had plans to turbocharge the system with a GT15 but I’m going to hold off on that for the time being due to current fund limits here and for the sake of an open exhaust sound(straight pipe).

The fun part of the project is that I’m not stopping with just a bare bones chassis like all the other carts of this nature have done. Instead I’m going to build a one off mold and hand lay a composite Kev/Aramid body to replicate the 9R6, aka the Porsche RS Spyder…2006 series to be specific

http://www.7extrememotorsports.com/lemans/cars/porsche-rs-spyder-06.jpg

The design stages are ~90% complete and I beginning fabrication in my spare time between cars now, and will be full into it within the next 3-4 weeks. Most of the chassis components are here or in transit. Body construction might not be completed this year however, again due to current fund limitations but mostly just time.

Some various parts pictures.

636 engine/transmission

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o285/Boxxersix/engine.jpg

Misc calipers, dash, harness, etc…

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o285/Boxxersix/left1.jpg

The coilovers going into this, spec’ed 250in/lb for the inboard rockers

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o285/Boxxersix/coilovers.jpg

Caliper, rotors, and braided flex lines

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o285/Boxxersix/brakes.jpg

Led tail lights(stock 636 parts resemble closely to the real thing), Audi S4 xenon/projectors, Wilwood master cylinder(brake), steering rack…

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o285/Boxxersix/lightsrack.jpg

Few other nice features of this little toy.

-Full radial mount four piston brakes on floating rotors, cockpit adjustable bias, Wilwood masters.
-1.5TTL steering rack, not your typical pitman arm cart linkage
-slated 10-13x7" billet wheels with race compounds treading them.
-Inboard suspension sprung by nitrogen charged billet coilovers, adjustable R+C
-Full xenon head lighting and LED tail lighting
-R247 prototype paddle shifting system. Fully electronic with momentary ignition cut and clutchless upshift/downshift movement. ~50ms shifting duration. Initially under development for SCCA Formula but being tested here…
-Fire suppression, five point harness, roll over bar, rollover valve, Fuel Safe cell, tip and inertia sensors(F.P kill). Typical safety stuff.

The initial intentions were to build this machine, list and sell it to a Porsche collector for a sum more than enough to finish purchasing the remaining components for the 962. When complete, I may not want to get rid of it. Might just have to build a few more.

Pics of fabrication to follow soon. Need to make some room by getting cars done and outta here. 962 just taking the sideline for the time being while I recharge the wallet Already ~ $35K invested and not much but a vast array of parts and CAD files to show for it :slight_smile:

impressive to say the least. :wow will be watching this build very close.

+1 i will be also watching this. Sounds like it’s going to be AWESOME!

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet :nod

i can’t wait to see this completed.

Sounds like an unrestricted FSAE car (with better body work)… this is going to be awesome.

make it a hybird

sounds like an awesome build . . . cant wait to see the final product

Yep…gonna be awesome!

this thing is gonna be sweet

Straight up ridiculous… As is normal for the stuff you do…

What is your target weight for the whole thing with + driver?

This thing looks deadly

I weigh in at ~150lbs. Car target of about 350-375 wet, sans body. I expect the body to weight in around 65-70lbs with wing. Chassis is a chromoly-aluminum composite tube design. High strength where needed and lightweight aluminum tubing for cross bracing and substructure supports(Ie body support, engine mounts, etc, etc). With a base HP of about 130 it should scoot real quick. If I turbocharge it with a GT15 in the future I’d expect ~200 easy.

Has some very cool similarities, but some VERY cool differences. It will have the power to weight ratio of a kart and the handling dynamics of a car. Best of both worlds.

I pretty much sit outside Adam’s shop in my full suit and helmet making engine noises and shifting until its ready.

hahaha

Sweet! I worked on FSAE cars a little bit when I was at RIT.

Me too at UMD. It kept me in the Engineering dept an entire year longer than I wanted. Way cool stuff.

I ROFL’d at that. Thumbs up to you, sir.

And Adam, I am envious of the knowledge and skill you possess.

basically the power to weight of a supersport 600 but with car dynamics and driveability. :wow

Some of the parts look familiar :ninja

Keep us updated I would love to see progress on this thing, and see that engine being put to good use.

I’m glad to hear you’re getting rid of the one issue the old shell for the motor had… the tendency to fall over on two wheels :lol