My Custom Top mount.. its my first

sneak peak…

ill shit

yeah, that looks good. What type of welder did you use for that?

its just tacked for now, till I test fit on the motor tonight, being Mild steel I don’t need to Tig it, I could but I don’t really see the point, Just mig it nicely.

This being my first attempt at a top mount, the second if worth it will be SS, all tigged nicely.

well see…

I’ve also been reading a lot of interest for a stock location tubular manifold… that might actually be next.

… Thanks Hector

TIG it!!!

Yes, TIG it. MIG is a failure of a weld process. It has the LEAST amount of penetration of all weld type.
It doesn’t matter if it’s MS or not. You should still TIG it.

Weight is also a factor if you wanna get anal so tig welding it has its advantage.

^Which is where the penetration part comes in. lol
MIG has the least penetration. So the weld won’t fuse as well. Resulting in the weld unable to hold all the load.

TIG has some of the best depth of penetration.

SOB… FINE !! I’ll tig the biatch… if curious the manifold weighs 17 lbs, stock is 13 lbs only 4 lbs difference not much.

Well I meant weight from welding. By Mig welding it you would add more weight from the welds themselves vs Tig welding. Weight difference would be minuet by there would be a difference, which is why I’d said if you really wanna get anal about it.

^Dude. I’m just laying out the facts. A TIG"d manifold will be much stronger when properly welded. It’s got the penetration that MIG simply doesn’t have.
I’m a heavy equipment fabricator and pipe fitter. I know these things well, lol.

My last comment was towards Doba

yes I understood you Counterpart on the weight part, I just put the overall weight out there… yes absolutely Mig doesnt penetrate well at all, unless its set to a high ampage level… to the point where you burn holes lol

No, youre right I should Tig the thing, which is no problem either way.

well no problem except how to get to those tight fit areas with a tig lol… we’ll see

You use a very short cap on the tig torch.

I hate this no edit thing.

You can also find shallow cups and collets etc…

any pics for examples? I dont have any of those… so that might make things more difficult

http://store.weldersource.com/57y04.html

I personally don’t have for my machine at home.

AHh that back cap lol sry I might know how to weld but im not familiar with all the parts… I do have that short back cap, its on the thing right now, problem is even with that, the entire handle + nozzel still is 3.5" long exactly.

Wish it was half the size for those tight places

I don’t know where you get your consumables. But go back there and check for shallow cups or something. It might bring the length down a bit.

A lot of people don’t tack the whole thing together before welding it up. Some build them one runner at a time. Others have a set order.
Tacking the whole thing together creates these space issues.

This may or may not help. Grab a small mirror and some extra pipe lying around and practice welding on the backside of things using the mirror…

I’ve done this a few times through out my life, lol.
It’s hard but it’s makes it easier to get into tight places when you can do it.