My DVR Sucks

My Time Warner DVR is unbearably slow. It clips and freezes both live and recorded shows, the fast forward/rewing/play features dont react when you hit the button (there is a HUGE delay, it will keep fast forwarding through the show).

This is the second box I’ve gotten from them. Does anyone have good luck with this? Is it worth it to trade in another one? I’m about to put this giant non-intuitive remote through a wall.

I have it and it never gives me a problem at all…ask your neighbors maybe its just your area

I doubt its an area thing, we’re using TW’s cable modem too without any problems.

I hate my neighbors, I just dont want to talk to them. ;D

i have DVR in my living room as well as my bedroom and the one in my bedroom is as you described, horribly slow making me want to throw the remote…however the one downstairs in my living room is very fast and responds when i press the buttons(theres not a 10 second delay,like the upstairs one)…the only problem with the one that works correctly is that it clips some of the shows i want to record which pisses me off, not sure why it does that…but Time Warner couldn’t answer my question to as why my upstairs one is so slow so F them :bash :deadhorse

Yep, that’s the stuff.

I’m going to take it to TW and try again…again.

I just tried to load a show and it completely shut down and is now doing its reboot thing.

I JUST WANT TO WATCH PLANET EARTH!!!

How much is Tivo? They rule.

It’s def a hardware issue. The dvr/cable boxes are constantly refurbished and sent back out. So they are not the most reliable things in the world. I just swap it out for a new one whenever I have an issue.

Mine seems to erase all scheduled recordings every couple weeks. Missing a show completely is a huge bummer.

The only time I get an annoying button delay is on HowardTV (maybe a second or two, not bad enough to switch).

mine gets pretty stupid at times too. i dont get anything when i push the “info” button or the recorded list is impossible to scroll though

i think im going to bring my box down, ive never done that, ive had it for like a year and its progressively gotten slower to the point where theres no response for atleast 5-10 seconds after i press the button :wtf

check ur VTAK settings :crackup

:lol yeah? My vtak is i-vtak … Its intelligent

my dvr is at it again as of last night. the menu is all borked. the channel lines are okay, but about a 3 second lag. the stuff on the top left is all weird squares and colors and crap. when u put in a number for a channel it appears with a 5 second lag. when u switch to a channel it takes about 3-5 seconds. i have to reboot the dumbass box again today.

yeah, whenever i change channels, it always asks me if i want to re-start?? anyone else get this?..and when you go exchange the box, do they give you like a brand new one? bc the one i have looks like one of the first to come out :lol

nope, they all get refurbished and sent back out. It will be new to you, but not brand new.

ooh gotcha, so you may get one that equally sucks :shifty

More than likely you will

mine was being a re-re last night. i yanked out the plug, plugged it back in like 10 seconds, and in about a minute i hit the power button on it. in a few min it was back to normal

whenever i have to restart mine or i unplug it…it takes forever to reboot…but the one i have in my living room is mint…works like a charm…other than clipping my taped shows :deadhorse

clipping your tapes shows short is not your box’s fault, it’s the tv stations for not being on time. If a show is scheduled to end at 1pm and it goes to 1:02pm, then that last two minutes will be cut off. E! is horrible with that. And if you are trying to record anything after a baseball/football game then you are pretty much guaranteed to be screwed since they usually run over the allowed time.

no im talking like a regularly scheduled program, my DVR will tape like 16 minutes and when you go to fastforward it it shows as green on a normally recorded program…this will show half red and the recorded part green…i know that if your trying to record a show after a sporting event your more than likely going to have it clipped